* Anyone tried to compile Ocaml on .NET?
@ 2004-12-28  6:13 SooHyoung Oh
From: SooHyoung Oh @ 2004-12-28  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Is there anyone who has ever tried to compile ocaml on .NET environment?

I can find lots of infomation from the ocaml-mailing list:

Mono project: http://www.mono-project.com/about/index.html
F#: http://research.microsoft.com/projects/ilx/fsharp.aspx
sml.net: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/TSG/SMLNET/
Nemerle: http://nemerle.org/
John Goerzen's message: http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200408/msg00424.html

After some test on F#, my feeling is that it's not so good as Ocaml.
So I'm looking for Ocaml implementation on .NET environment.
(Interoperability is not my concern.)

There is a message that because the type system of Ocaml is so complex
that it's not easy to make Ocaml.net. But I think it's not so difficult
to compile Ocaml on .NET, is it?

* [Caml-list] Anyone tried to compile Ocaml on .NET?
@ 2004-12-28  8:55 ` Tom Hirschowitz
From: Tom Hirschowitz @ 2004-12-28  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SooHyoung Oh; +Cc: caml-list

What about this work by Raphael Montelatici and others?

http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~montela/

SooHyoung Oh writes:
 > Is there anyone who has ever tried to compile ocaml on .NET environment?
 >
 > I can find lots of infomation from the ocaml-mailing list:
 >
 > Mono project: http://www.mono-project.com/about/index.html
 > F#: http://research.microsoft.com/projects/ilx/fsharp.aspx
 > sml.net: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/TSG/SMLNET/
 > Nemerle: http://nemerle.org/
 > John Goerzen's message: http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200408/msg00424.html
 >
 > After some test on F#, my feeling is that it's not so good as Ocaml.
 > So I'm looking for Ocaml implementation on .NET environment.
 > (Interoperability is not my concern.)
 >
 > There is a message that because the type system of Ocaml is so complex
 > that it's not easy to make Ocaml.net. But I think it's not so difficult
 > to compile Ocaml on .NET, is it?

* Re: [Caml-list] Anyone tried to compile Ocaml on .NET?
@ 2004-12-31 16:33 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-12-31 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SooHyoung Oh; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 03:13:07PM +0900, SooHyoung Oh wrote:
> Is there anyone who has ever tried to compile ocaml on .NET environment?
>
> I can find lots of infomation from the ocaml-mailing list:
>
> Mono project: http://www.mono-project.com/about/index.html
> F#: http://research.microsoft.com/projects/ilx/fsharp.aspx
> sml.net: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/TSG/SMLNET/
> Nemerle: http://nemerle.org/
> John Goerzen's message: http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200408/msg00424.html
>
> After some test on F#, my feeling is that it's not so good as Ocaml.
> So I'm looking for Ocaml implementation on .NET environment.
> (Interoperability is not my concern.)

One possibility is running .NET code on the Mono VM, embedded in an
OCaml process.  It seems like it should be possible, although the
specifics of how the two garbage collectors might behave together is
unclear.

http://www.go-mono.com/embedded-api.html

Rich.