* New Ocaml indentation for VIm
@ 2005-02-06  2:31 David Baelde
From: David Baelde @ 2005-02-06  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi list,

I'm developping a new Caml indentation for VIm, which looks like tuareg
a lot, plus performs nice things like folding. I believe it's already
good enough for being used, but I'm looking for testers, for bug finding
but also discussing some points where I don't follow tuareg.

The main scripts are at:
and you may wish to take a look at an alpha-version of a code annotation
lookup utility at:

I hope it will be useful.
--
David

* Re: [Caml-list] New Ocaml indentation for VIm
@ 2005-02-25 10:22 ` Olivier Grisel
From: Olivier Grisel @ 2005-02-25 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david.baelde; +Cc: caml-list

David Baelde wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm developping a new Caml indentation for VIm, which looks like tuareg
> a lot, plus performs nice things like folding. I believe it's already
> good enough for being used, but I'm looking for testers, for bug finding
> but also discussing some points where I don't follow tuareg.

Hi, and thanks a lot, this looks nice (especially the folding support :)

I have just tried it for a few seconds and I found the following identation a
bit too wide:

let f = function
           |  [] -> foo
           | x::l -> bar

but I would prefer the following:

let f = function
   | [] -> foo
   | x::l -> bar

Anyway, thanks a lot. I will test it more extensively this WE and let you know
if I find bugs.

Regards,

	Olivier

* Re: [Caml-list] New Ocaml indentation for VIm
@ 2005-02-25 10:58   ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2005-02-25 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Grisel; +Cc: david.baelde, caml-list

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:22:32AM +0100, Olivier Grisel wrote:
> David Baelde wrote:
> >Hi list,
> >
> >I'm developping a new Caml indentation for VIm, which looks like tuareg
> >a lot, plus performs nice things like folding. I believe it's already
> >good enough for being used, but I'm looking for testers, for bug finding
> >but also discussing some points where I don't follow tuareg.
>
> Hi, and thanks a lot, this looks nice (especially the folding support :)
>
> I have just tried it for a few seconds and I found the following identation
> a bit too wide:
>
> let f = function
>           |  [] -> foo
>           | x::l -> bar
>
> but I would prefer the following:
>
> let f = function
>   | [] -> foo
>   | x::l -> bar
>
> Anyway, thanks a lot. I will test it more extensively this WE and let you
> know if I find bugs.

Yeah, that or 4 space indents.

BTW, any hope of seing this new mode migrate upstream (or just in the debian
package ?).

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] New Ocaml indentation for VIm
@ 2005-02-25 14:18     ` Olivier Grisel
From: Olivier Grisel @ 2005-02-25 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Luther; +Cc: caml-list

Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:22:32AM +0100, Olivier Grisel wrote:
>>I have just tried it for a few seconds and I found the following identation
>>a bit too wide:
>>
>>let f = function
>>          |  [] -> foo
>>          | x::l -> bar
>>
>>but I would prefer the following:
>>
>>let f = function
>>  | [] -> foo
>>  | x::l -> bar

> Yeah, that or 4 space indents.

Maybe there is a config option to set this behaviors ?

> BTW, any hope of seing this new mode migrate upstream (or just in the debian
> package ?).

+1

Best,

	Olivier

* Re: [Caml-list] New Ocaml indentation for VIm
@ 2005-02-25 18:55   ` David Baelde
From: David Baelde @ 2005-02-25 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Olivier Grisel

Olivier Grisel wrote:
> I have just tried it for a few seconds and I found the following
> identation a bit too wide:
>
> let f = function
>           |  [] -> foo
>           | x::l -> bar

That was a known issue, I had a (not so visible) page on my website
about that. It was the "relative vs. incremental dilemn"... With a naive
implementation, I couldn't base the indentation of line 2 on the
beginning of line 1, so I based it on the keyword "function". Here is an
idea of what you get if you base the indentation on the beginning of the
line of the base keyword, without taking care:

let _ =
   something first_arg second_one (if a then
     foo bar
   else
     bar foo)

This week I was away from the network, but kept coding a bit... I tried
to figure out what tuareg does (cannot read that amount of elisp), and
did the same in OMLet. I will release it soon on vim.org. I also added
customization. The current implementation base the indentation on the
beginning of the line, or the last "(", "[" or "{" before the keyword,
on the same line, if there's one. As far as I've tried, it's a good trick.

The 4 spaces proposed by S. Luther a nice compromise between the strict
old indentation and the tricky and meaningless (but nice) new
indentation. But I think it would require more work for me, and for the
script, which is already so slow... And I don't think people want it so
much.

Regarding integration of omlet with the official ocaml support, as far
as I'm concerned I think it could be done within a few months, when
OMLet will be considered stable. But Markus Mottl didn't give me his
advice. There's only a very minor issue about code annotations, because
I don't like being warned that my VIm is not compiled with python
support everytime I open a OCaml file, and I'd like to find a good
solution without Python. Also, I didn't work at all on .mll and .mly
support.

Packaging omlet separately is OK. Samuel Mimram could do that. I would
just suggest to wait a bit.

Hope you'll like release 0.7!
--

@ 2005-02-26  8:16     ` Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2005-02-26  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 07:55:42PM +0100, David Baelde wrote:
> advice. There's only a very minor issue about code annotations, because
> I don't like being warned that my VIm is not compiled with python
> support everytime I open a OCaml file, and I'd like to find a good
> solution without Python. Also, I didn't work at all on .mll and .mly

Well, is "just" a matter of parsing code annotation in vimscript. I've
never had the willingness to do it and thus I did it in python, if you
consider it as a showstepper though, I will be happy to work on it.

> Packaging omlet separately is OK. Samuel Mimram could do that. I would
> just suggest to wait a bit.

Couldn't we just add omlet to the ocaml-tools package?

* Re: [Caml-list] New Ocaml indentation for VIm
@ 2005-02-26  8:39       ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2005-02-26  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:16:37AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 07:55:42PM +0100, David Baelde wrote:
> > advice. There's only a very minor issue about code annotations, because
> > I don't like being warned that my VIm is not compiled with python
> > support everytime I open a OCaml file, and I'd like to find a good
> > solution without Python. Also, I didn't work at all on .mll and .mly
>
> Well, is "just" a matter of parsing code annotation in vimscript. I've
> never had the willingness to do it and thus I did it in python, if you
> consider it as a showstepper though, I will be happy to work on it.
>
> > Packaging omlet separately is OK. Samuel Mimram could do that. I would
> > just suggest to wait a bit.
>
> Couldn't we just add omlet to the ocaml-tools package?

Yep, i vote for that. Samuel, do you feel like doing it ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] New Ocaml indentation for VIm
@ 2005-02-26  9:51         ` Samuel Mimram
From: Samuel Mimram @ 2005-02-26  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:16:37AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 07:55:42PM +0100, David Baelde wrote:
>>>Packaging omlet separately is OK. Samuel Mimram could do that. I would
>>>just suggest to wait a bit.
>>
>>Couldn't we just add omlet to the ocaml-tools package?
>

> Yep, i vote for that. Samuel, do you feel like doing it ?

Ok. I'll add omlet to ocaml-tools until it's integrated in vim.

Regards,

Samuel.

* Re: [Caml-list] New Ocaml indentation for VIm
@ 2005-02-26 10:48           ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2005-02-26 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 10:51:18AM +0100, Samuel Mimram wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:

> >>Couldn't we just add omlet to the ocaml-tools package?
> >

> >Yep, i vote for that. Samuel, do you feel like doing it ?
>
> Ok. I'll add omlet to ocaml-tools until it's integrated in vim.

Cool.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] New Ocaml indentation for VIm
@ 2005-03-07 15:57     ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2005-03-07 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david.baelde; +Cc: caml-list, Olivier Grisel

Hi David,

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, David Baelde wrote:
> Regarding integration of omlet with the official ocaml support, as far
> as I'm concerned I think it could be done within a few months, when
> OMLet will be considered stable. But Markus Mottl didn't give me his
> advice.

Sorry for the long delay, but I'm currently having a huge backlog of
mails that need to be answered.

I have now found time to take a closer look at your work, and I think
it looks very promising.  I have just integrated your changes into my
distribution of Vim-files (see signature for link to my new site).

The two indentation styles are still separate, but I think that once OMLet
is stable, we can make it the default.  I'll keep using it as default in
my projects to track down potential problems, but it looks great so far.
Thanks a lot for your work!

Best regards,
Markus

--
Markus Mottl    markus.mottl@gmail.com    http://www.ocaml.info

* Re: [Caml-list] New Ocaml indentation for VIm
@ 2005-03-23 22:37       ` Olivier Grisel
From: Olivier Grisel @ 2005-03-23 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Mottl, david.baelde; +Cc: caml-list

Markus Mottl wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Sorry for the long delay, but I'm currently having a huge backlog of
> mails that need to be answered.
>
> I have now found time to take a closer look at your work, and I think
> it looks very promising.  I have just integrated your changes into my
> distribution of Vim-files (see signature for link to my new site).
>
> The two indentation styles are still separate, but I think that once OMLet
> is stable, we can make it the default.  I'll keep using it as default in
> my projects to track down potential problems, but it looks great so far.
> Thanks a lot for your work!

To all vimist-ocamlers around here,

Something I find rather useful when programming in ocaml with vim, is to add all
the .cm* suffixes to your suffixes variable, eg:
set
suffixes=.bak,~,.swp,.o,.info,.aux,.log,.dvi,.bbl,.blg,.brf,.cb,.ind,.idx,.ilg,.inx,.out,.toc,.cmi,.cmo,.cma,.cmx,.cmxa,.omc

(The .omc is only useful when using omake as a [great!] building tool).

This line is both useful when using vim's file explorer or the tab completion.
It would be nice if something similar could be included by default in David's
omlet or Markus'  ftplugin/ocaml.vim file.

Best,

	Olivier