* tuareg, windows, cygwin and startxwin.bat
@ 2005-02-24  8:16 matthieu.dubuget
From: matthieu.dubuget @ 2005-02-24  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello.

I use Ocaml (MSVC version) on windows XP Pro.
I experienced a strange behaviour of tuareg's
tuareg-run-ocaml command, depending on the way I call cygwin
and emacs. If anybody knows the reason of this behaviour, I
would be interested for an explanation.

When I call a toplevel this way, everything works ok :
- run cygwin
- startx
- run emacs from xterm
- launch toplevel with the tuareg-run-caml command

When I work this way (I prefer this way, because it is
simpler, and do not leave an unused opened cygwin terminal):
- run xwindows directly with startxwin.bat script
- run emacs from xterm
- launch toplevel with the tuareg-run-caml command

    -> the toplevels runs in a separate windows which is
annoying, because I then lack the power of emacs...

- If I launch a customized toplevel of mine, it runs as
usual inside the *caml-toplevel* buffer

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance

Matthieu
************************ ADSL JUSQU'A 8 MEGA + 3 MOIS DE TELEPHONE GRATUIT ************************
L'ultra haut débit à 15EUR/mois seulement ! Et vous téléphonez gratuitement en France vers les postes fixes,
hors numéros spéciaux pendant 3 mois.
Pour profiter de cette offre exceptionnelle, cliquez ici : http://register.tiscali.fr/adsl/  (voir conditions sur le site)

* Re: [Caml-list] tuareg, windows, cygwin and startxwin.bat
@ 2005-02-24 15:57 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-02-24 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matthieu.dubuget; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, matthieu.dubuget wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I use Ocaml (MSVC version) on windows XP Pro.
> I experienced a strange behaviour of tuareg's
> tuareg-run-ocaml command, depending on the way I call cygwin
> and emacs. If anybody knows the reason of this behaviour, I
> would be interested for an explanation.
>
> When I call a toplevel this way, everything works ok :
> - run cygwin
> - startx
> - run emacs from xterm
> - launch toplevel with the tuareg-run-caml command
>
> When I work this way (I prefer this way, because it is
> simpler, and do not leave an unused opened cygwin terminal):
> - run xwindows directly with startxwin.bat script
> - run emacs from xterm
> - launch toplevel with the tuareg-run-caml command
>
>     -> the toplevels runs in a separate windows which is
> annoying, because I then lack the power of emacs...
>
> - If I launch a customized toplevel of mine, it runs as
> usual inside the *caml-toplevel* buffer
>
> Any idea ?

Matthieu,

Cygwin uses something called "ptys", which are pseudo-terminals
implemented with pipes.  Some Windows applications don't understand those,
so think they're running without a console, and allocate their own.  There
was some work on fixing this -- see the Cygwin mailing list archives for
details, but I don't think there's a definitive resolution.

You most likely run Cygwin's emacs, which creates ptys.  You could try
using non-Cygwin xemacs (I don't know if it speaks X -- I don't use
emacs).

That said, why not use the Cygwin version of O'Caml that does understand
ptys?

Igor Pechtchanski, the volunteer O'Caml maintainer for Cygwin
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT

* Re: [Caml-list] tuareg, windows, cygwin and startxwin.bat
@ 2005-02-24 20:38   ` Matthieu Dubuget
From: Matthieu Dubuget @ 2005-02-24 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Igor Pechtchanski a écrit :
  > Cygwin uses something called "ptys", which are pseudo-terminals
> implemented with pipes.  Some Windows applications don't understand those,
> so think they're running without a console, and allocate their own.  There
> was some work on fixing this -- see the Cygwin mailing list archives for
> details, but I don't think there's a definitive resolution.

Thanks. I will have a look.

> You most likely run Cygwin's emacs, which creates ptys.  You could try
> using non-Cygwin xemacs (I don't know if it speaks X -- I don't use
> emacs).

But what seems strange to me is that my own version of the toplevel
works fine...

> That said, why not use the Cygwin version of O'Caml that does understand
> ptys?

I use Ocaml at work (this explains my use of windows - but not all the
time...). Usually, except little standalone utilities, I generate DLLs,
which are called by other languages (Java, Labview, C++). I do not know
how to do those DLLs with cygwin tools. And I would have to use mingw
version because of licence problems.

> Igor Pechtchanski, the volunteer O'Caml maintainer for Cygwin

Salutations

Matthieu