* Toplevel usage of stdout and stderr
@ 2005-04-06  9:16 Robert Roessler
From: Robert Roessler @ 2005-04-06  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-list

I am close to finishing my LablGTK-based syntax-colored GUI for the
toplevel... and I have noticed [the Windows version of] the ocaml
toplevel seems to use both stdout and stderr for warnings and errors.

Chapter 9 of the Objective Caml manual clearly states "results are
printed on standard output, errors on standard error" and further that
the Windows ocaml.exe "works exactly as under Unix".

I would like to know if the apparent mixing of the two channels is
intended, or if it is a bug (possibly just with the Windows version),
and if there is some rationale for when stdout is used versus stderr.

This last would be of help to me, as I am trying to do "smart"
filtering (and interpreting) of the toplevel output - and not having
any model for what is going to show up where (other than knowing that
the "inferred type and result value, if any" will go to stdout, as
will the "# " prompt) makes this a little more difficult. :)

Robert Roessler
roessler@rftp.com
http://www.rftp.com