From: Robert Roessler <roessler@rftp.com>
To: Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Syntactic inclusion of a.ml in b.ml ?
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 10:51:47 -0700	[thread overview]

Richard Jones wrote:

> ...  Often it's better just to use a single large
> file and a capable editor, with "folding"[1] capabilities.
> [1] http://www.moria.de/~michael/fe/folding.html

Interesting that you mention this... I am more than ready to implement
folding in my syntax colorer "LexCaml" for Scintilla/SciTE[1] - all of
the supporting infrastructure is in place.

But it is not entirely clear *what* should be folded to be useful in
working with OCaml source.  A language with an obvious structure like
Python suggests a fairly obvious folding structure.

When I look at OCaml source code, however, I see a *lot* of really
different free-form coding styles.  The only language element that
jumps out at me for folding is a simplistic handling of "let"
bindings... which might not be useful for anything more than to say
"Now with folding!" :)

Anyone in the OCaml community (or out of it) that has an opinion on
the Tao of OCaml source code structuring and manipulation is
encouraged to offer it, and I will attempt to discern a "consensus"
viewpoint and use that to produce a folding version of LexCaml.

Note that actually showing what you mean, as in "here are folded and
unfolded versions of this OCaml code" could be helpful in
communicating any thoughts you may have on the subject.

[1] Current and development versions of LexCaml are available at
http://www.rftp.com/Downloads.shtml - The current release version of
LexCaml is now part of Scintilla/SciTE versions 1.63 and later, at
http://www.scintilla.org/

Robert Roessler
roessler@rftp.com
http://www.rftp.com