From: Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@exomi.com>
To: sejourne_kevin <sejourne_kevin@yahoo.fr>
Cc: caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] float precision on AMD64
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:12:38 +0300	[thread overview]

sejourne_kevin wrote:

> The programs who works with floats in 32 bits shall also work with
> floats in 64 bits without one bit from the mantissa, no?

Extra precision does not automatically translate to things just working
"better", as people have noticed based on the unfortunate x87 design
choices.  Besides, lots of (most?) programs want full 64-bit floats.
Certainly OCaml programs would expect them.

> So, what are we waiting for unbox the floats?
> Historical reason(C code wrote that use the box representation of the
> floats) ?

OCaml is already capable of unboxing 64-bit floats when stored in arrays
or records containing only floats.  By using those, you should get
reasonable efficiency.

While tagged floats might be a usable solution for some situations, I'm
sure I wouldn't be the only person unhappy with the situation if they
were made the default.  In OCaml they'd also be incompatible with
polymorphic compare; unlike other values with a tagged representation,
they can't be compared as if they were integers.