* Request for caml-list mantainer
@ 2005-07-08  7:04 Luca Pascali
From: Luca Pascali @ 2005-07-08  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi everyone.

Sorry if I am OT, but reading the caml-list I'm having difficulties
reading some threads.
The problem seems to be this: when someone posts a message to the
caml-list, message arrives to every subscriber with the email of the
sender in the from field. That's ok.
But when someone replies, can happen that he/she replies just to the
sender (that means privately).
To reply to the list he/she must manually change the to field in his/her
mail client.

Now, is it possible to set the Reply To field into the e-main forwarded
by Caml-list to have an automatic follow-up to the list?

Thanks
LP

Luca Pascali
luca@barettadeit.com
asxcaml-guru@barettadeit.com

http://www.barettadeit.com/
Baretta DE&IT
A division of Baretta SRL

tel. 02 370 111 55
fax. 02 370 111 54

Our technology:
http://www.asxcaml.org/
http://www.freerp.org/

___________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.it

* Re: [Caml-list] Request for caml-list mantainer
@ 2005-07-08  7:20 ` Alex Baretta
From: Alex Baretta @ 2005-07-08  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Pascali; +Cc: caml-list

Luca Pascali wrote:
> Now, is it possible to set the Reply To field into the e-main forwarded
> by Caml-list to have an automatic follow-up to the list?

This has already been discussed on the list--by me, actually. The common
opinion seems to be that it is very little effort on the caml-list
users' part to use the Reply-all button, or to change the address
manually. Apparently everbody is happy with the duplicate messages
generated by the former solution. The was also some discussion
concerning the drawbacks of changing the Reply-to field, but I cannot
remember the details.

Alex

http://www.barettadeit.com/
Baretta DE&IT
A division of Baretta SRL

tel. +39 02 370 111 55
fax. +39 02 370 111 54

Our technology:

The Application System/Xcaml (AS/Xcaml)
<http://www.asxcaml.org/>

The FreerP Project
<http://www.freerp.org/>

* Re: [Caml-list] Request for caml-list mantainer
@ 2005-07-08  7:37 ` Josh Myer
From: Josh Myer @ 2005-07-08  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Pascali; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 09:04:47AM +0200, Luca Pascali wrote:

> Now, is it possible to set the Reply To field into the e-main forwarded
> by Caml-list to have an automatic follow-up to the list?

Doing this seems like a good idea, but it has many implications and
annoys lots of people.  It's been discussed here before (several times);
I'd link to them, but google isn't interacting nicely with the archives
at the moment.  So, I'll leave finding those messages as an exercise.

A quick read on the issue is "'Reply-To' Munging Considered Harmful,"
available at:

If I recall correctly, finding the archived discussions will yield a
nice piece of ASCII-art as a consolation prize =)
--
/jbm, but you can call me Josh. Really, you can.

 "Was sich ueberhaupt sagen laesst, laesst sich
  klar sagen; und wovon man nicht reden kann,
  darueber muss man schweigen."
   -- Wittgenstein, in Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus

* Re: [Caml-list] Request for caml-list mantainer
@ 2005-07-08  7:51   ` Luca Pascali
From: Luca Pascali @ 2005-07-08  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Josh Myer wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 09:04:47AM +0200, Luca Pascali wrote:
>

>>Now, is it possible to set the Reply To field into the e-main forwarded
>>by Caml-list to have an automatic follow-up to the list?
>>

>Doing this seems like a good idea, but it has many implications and
>annoys lots of people.  It's been discussed here before (several times);
>I'd link to them, but google isn't interacting nicely with the archives
>at the moment.  So, I'll leave finding those messages as an exercise.
>
>A quick read on the issue is "'Reply-To' Munging Considered Harmful,"
>available at:
>  http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>
>If I recall correctly, finding the archived discussions will yield a
>nice piece of ASCII-art as a consolation prize =)

Ok, I missed the previous discussions.
Anyway I tried.

LP

Luca Pascali
luca@barettadeit.com
asxcaml-guru@barettadeit.com

http://www.barettadeit.com/
Baretta DE&IT
A division of Baretta SRL

tel. 02 370 111 55
fax. 02 370 111 54

Our technology:
http://www.asxcaml.org/
http://www.freerp.org/

___________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.it

* Re: Request for caml-list mantainer
@ 2005-07-08  9:03   ` Rakotomandimby Mihamina
From: Rakotomandimby Mihamina @ 2005-07-08  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Alex Baretta wrote:
> use the Reply-all button

I hope not!

I read this list (and many others) through Gmane gateway.

Espacially to get rid of thousands of emails that bloated my mailbox.
Answering with "Reply-all" will send one email to the list _and_ one to
the previous sender.
The To-list one will go through Gmane's, but but the other one will go
to the mail Inbox. Subscribing through Gmane was about to avoid
receiving emails, so, take care of that...

What should be done is to care of where your email is sent to. That the
basics of talking/discussing. People cant assume having constructive
discussion if he just throw the answer and let it goes where it goes. So
what I would say is just "check who your message is sent to, that's fair".

Cheers.

--
Miroir de logiciels libres => http://www.etud-orleans.fr
  Un Nokia sous Linux,    "programmable" en Open Source