* Looking for a good book on object-oriented GUI programming
@ 2005-11-20 15:09 David MENTRE
       [not found] ` <20051120153926.M79882@batyuk.net>
From: David MENTRE @ 2005-11-20 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I'm currently writting a graphical client for a server (demexp, in OCaml
with Lablgtk binding) and I'm realising that I lack most of knowledge to
structure an application in an correct object-oriented way.

So I'm looking for a good book (in French or English) showing how to use
object-oriented programming mechanisms to structure a GUI
application. For example, how to use OO mechanisms to have good
responsiveness, allow the undoing of operations, handle several
operations at once, etc.  I'm not interested in a book detailing the use
of a particular toolkit or language. Of course, a generic book with
examples applied in a given language/toolkit does not affraid me.

I've already read the Design Patterns book (Gamma et al.) and I know a
little about SmallTalk, C++, Java and Eiffel.

Many thanks in advance for any pointer,
Yours,
d.
--
pub  1024D/A3AD7A2A 2004-10-03 David MENTRE <dmentre@linux-france.org>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A

* Re: [Caml-list] Looking for a good book on object-oriented GUI programming
@ 2005-11-20 17:53 ` Thomas Fischbacher
       [not found] ` <20051120153926.M79882@batyuk.net>
From: Thomas Fischbacher @ 2005-11-20 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David MENTRE; +Cc: caml-list

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, David MENTRE wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm currently writting a graphical client for a server (demexp, in OCaml
> with Lablgtk binding) and I'm realising that I lack most of knowledge to
> structure an application in an correct object-oriented way.
>
> So I'm looking for a good book (in French or English) showing how to use
> object-oriented programming mechanisms to structure a GUI
> application. For example, how to use OO mechanisms to have good
> responsiveness, allow the undoing of operations, handle several
> operations at once, etc.  I'm not interested in a book detailing the use
> of a particular toolkit or language. Of course, a generic book with
> examples applied in a given language/toolkit does not affraid me.

You should read Oleg's analysis:

http://okmij.org/ftp/c++-digest/CPP-GUI-mismatch.html

--
regards,               tf@cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de              (o_
 Thomas Fischbacher -  http://www.cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~tf  //\

* Re: [Caml-list] Looking for a good book on object-oriented GUI programming
       [not found]   ` <87d5kviap7.fsf@gmail.com>
@ 2005-11-21  8:44     ` Andrey Batyuk
From: Andrey Batyuk @ 2005-11-21  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

David MENTRE wrote:

>>I'd recommend to you to take a closer look at Swing (Java Foundation Classes,
>>GUI framework) - it's example of good OO design of GUI library
>>

>Ok. Any specific book or web site to recommend?

Maybe java.sun.com - look javax.swing javadoc pages?
And most of java books now have enough information on swing. Thinking in
Java should at least