From: Christophe Raffalli <christophe.raffalli@univ-savoie.fr>
To: Yaron Minsky <yminsky@cs.cornell.edu>
Cc: david.baelde@ens-lyon.org, caml-list <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Mandelbrot renderer
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:58:03 +0100	[thread overview]

> I think this really is a problem, although there are a few exceptions
> (mldonkey and unison come to mind.)  But the lack of applications is
> not, I think, for lack of suitability of the language.  The company
> where I work (quick hiring plug: http://janestcapital.com/ocaml.html)
> has had quite a bit of luck building rather interesting and practical
> trading and financial applications in OCaml, but those are all for
> internal use, so it doesn't help much for OCaml's visibility.

And what about python or java ?

I do not use a single python program and I only use one java program
which is cgoban and one ocaml program which is unison (if I do not count
the programs I am using for my research, because my research is related
to type system so this is biased).

So, for me, ocaml is more visible that python and equally visible than
ocaml ...

I think this kind of visivility needs time.

This is for my desktop computer ... however, on my V800 portable phone,
java is very visible (all my games are in java there). May be ocaml
software for pdas and phones are the way to make ocaml visible ;-)

And as I said in another post, I really would like an OCaml sudoko
GENERATOR (not a solver) on my portable phone, I almost finished all the
grids I have in the demo of a java commercial program I found on
getjar.com, so this now is urgent :-)

--
Christophe Raffalli
Université de Savoie

tél: (33) 4 79 75 81 03
fax: (33) 4 79 75 87 42
mail: Christophe.Raffalli@univ-savoie.fr
www: http://www.lama.univ-savoie.fr/~RAFFALLI
IMPORTANT: this mail is signed using PGP/MIME
At least Enigmail/Mozilla, mutt or evolution
can check this signature. The public key is
stored on www.keyserver.net