* CamlIDL: Returning a whole array of cows
@ 2007-09-17 20:11 Jakob Lichtenberg
From: Jakob Lichtenberg @ 2007-09-17 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

1. Summary: Stub code generated by Camlidl seems to call camlidl_malloc
with an uninitialized size.

2. Details:

I am declaring a function 'void get_cows([out] int* len,
[length_is(*len), size_is(*len), out] cow** cows);' that creates and
returns an array of cows.  (Each cow is just a pointer to a structure.)
The generated stub code seems incorrect:

cow_stubs.c:

value camlidl_cow_get_cows(value _unit)

{

  int *len; /*out*/

  cow **cows; /*out*/

  int _c1;

  mlsize_t _c2;

  value _v3;

  value _vres;

  struct camlidl_ctx_struct _ctxs = { CAMLIDL_TRANSIENT, NULL };

  camlidl_ctx _ctx = &_ctxs;

  len = &_c1;

  cows = camlidl_malloc(*len * sizeof(cow *), _ctx);

  get_cows(len, cows);

  _vres = camlidl_alloc(*len, 0);

  Begin_root(_vres)

    for (_c2 = 0; _c2 < *len; _c2++) {

      _v3 = camlidl_c2ml_cow_cow(&*cows[_c2], _ctx);

      modify(&Field(_vres, _c2), _v3);

    }

  End_roots()

  camlidl_free(_ctx);

  return _vres;

}

As you can see camlidl_malloc is called with an uninitialized value.

Is this a bug in camlidl, or am I writing my IDL file incorrectly.
Another way to ask:  How do I declared that a function reserves an array

3. Implementation details:

This is my C api I'd like to access from ocaml:

cow.h:

typedef struct _cow {

  char* name;

  int age;

} *cow;

cow get_dummy_cow();

void get_cows_inout(int inputlen, int *outputlen, cow ca[]); // Write
cows to 'ca', however not more than 'inputlen' elements.  Write number
of cows written to '*outputlen'.

void get_cows(int* len, cow **ca); // Malloc array for cows.  Save
number of elements to *len, save address for array in '*ca'.

void print_cow(cow o);

I'd like to access this API from OCaml using CamlIDL.  I use the
following idl file:

cow.idl:

typedef [abstract] void* cow;

[pointer_default(ref)] interface Cow {

cow get_dummy_cow(void);

void get_cows_inout([in] int inputlen, [out] int * outputlen,

                    [in,out,size_is(inputlen),length_is(*outputlen)] cow
d[]);

void get_cows([out] int* len, [length_is(*len), size_is(*len), out]
cow** cows);

void print_cow(cow o);

}

I compile this using:

                camlidl cow.idl

And use it from the following ML program:

mlmain.ml:

let main use_inout =

  let cows =

    if use_inout then Cow.get_cows_inout(Array.create 3
(Cow.get_dummy_cow()))

    else Cow.get_cows()

  in

  Array.iter Cow.print_cow cows

let _ = main true;

This works fine.  However, if I change the call to main to 'main false'
I get a crash.

Thanks,

-          Jakob

PS. I know that I am leaking memory - that I can fix with a simple
quote(dealloc, "free(*cows);");