Hi Xavier, Thanks for letting me know about this. I am sorry to say that I do not have a deep understanding of the topic, but if I am able to dig anything up I'll let you know. - Jakob ________________________________ From: Xavier Leroy [mailto:Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr] Sent: Sun 10/15/2006 8:58 AM To: Jakob Lichtenberg Cc: caml-list@yquem.inria.fr Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Missing overflow exception message in ocamlopt > When I compile the following program as byte code I see a stack overflow > (expected). When using ocamlopt it seems that the program dies and I do > not see the expected overflow exception? > [under Windows] Right. Given your e-mail address, you might actually understand better than I why it is so. Let me explain: The machine code generated by ocamlopt does not test explicitly for stack overflows, relying instead on the operating system to detect and report them. However, handling of stack overflow conditions varies greatly between processors and operating systems. Currently: - Under Linux/IA32 and Linux/AMD64, stack overflows are properly turned into a Stack_overflow Caml exception. Similar handling is in the CVS for MacOSX/PPC, and MacOSX/Intel might be feasible soon. - Other Unix-like operating systems just report stack overflows as a "segmentation violation" or "bus error" fatal signal. - Windows, as you noticed, behaves strangely. Stack overflows are turned into Win32 system exceptions, but apparently the structured exception handling of Win32 just fails to handle them and silently exits the program. That might be because the stack frames generated by ocamlopt are nothing like what Win32 expects. If you happen to know how to do better under Windows, you're most welcome to let me know. - Xavier Leroy