* Has anyone tried to build the msvc port of 3.09.1?
@ 2006-01-24  5:35 Robert Roessler
From: Robert Roessler @ 2006-01-24  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-list

I can not make it build and install properly.  While I never tried
3.09.0 (since the binary distribution was out so soon), I have
previously built members of the 3.08 series without incident...

As suggested, I use the Cygwin shell and commands with VC7.1 (.NET
2003) command-line tools.

Before you look too closely, things seem OK - then you realize that
the ".opt" versions of commands are not in the bin dir.  The usual
complement is present, including ocaml.exe, ocamlc.exe, ocamlopt.exe,
etc... note that OCamlWin.exe insists that it cannot find ocaml.exe
(even though the OCaml bin dir *is* on the path).  Note that ocaml.exe
*can* be successfully started and used.

Looking at the build output for "make -f Makefile.nt install", there
are some obvious (I believe) errors in two of the Makefiles: $(RANLIB)
is used as a command, but since no corresponding tool exists on the
platform (and the variable is left unassigned), this results in the
target file "gramlib.lib" being presented *as a command* to /bin/sh...
hacking these two by forcing RANLIB=true (to get an innocuous command
which "succeeds") gets past these errors, but overall, the "install"
target still does not complete.

BTW, these are the Makefiles in camlp4/lib and camlp4/ocaml_src/lib,
in sections which include the suspicious (but not obviously related in
this instance) comment "# Special treatment for this one...".

Ideally, either someone will point out the error of my ways (and no,
"using Windows" is not the answer to this one), or the non-building
status of 3.09.1 will be confirmed... with a fix forthcoming from the
team or community.

Of course, if a binary distribution for 3.09.1 magically appeared, it
would be nice... but it wouldn't really solve the problem. ;)

Robert Roessler
roessler@rftp.com
http://www.rftp.com

only message in thread, other threads:[~2006-01-24  5:35 UTC | newest]