From: Alessandro Baretta <a.baretta@barettadeit.com>
To: OCaml <caml-list@yquem.inria.fr>
Subject: License question: tricky issue
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 08:56:26 +0100	[thread overview]

Would the authors/copyright holders consider a tarball containing an Ocaml
source tarball plus other source code and other source tarballs as a
distribution of their software or as a derived work? The question is tricky due
to the non-free public license adopted by Inria originally.

I ask this question because I would like to release a source distribution for
Ocaml containing all source tarballs and all patches needed to build a complete
AS/Xcaml toolchain. This includes one or more stable ocaml tarballs, an
ocaml-cvs directory (for testing purposes), a metaocaml tarball, and a quite a
few libraries (findlib, pcre-ocaml, ocamlnet, pxp, extlib, postgres and a bunch
more). If I understand the QPL correctly, should this project be considered a
derived work I would not be allowed to distribute it; whereas, if it is
considered a distribution, à la Debian, there should be no problem.

Notice that all modifications to other peoples code exist in my distribution in
the form of patch files, which are automatically applied before the build
process begins.

Alex

Ing. Alessandro Baretta

Studio Baretta
http://studio.baretta.com/

Consulenza Tecnologica e Ingegneria Industriale
Technological Consulting and Industrial Engineering

tel. +39 02 370 111 55
fax. +39 02 370 111 54