From: Alessandro Baretta <a.baretta@studio.baretta.com>
To: David MENTRE <dmentre@linux-france.org>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr, metaocaml-hackers-l@cs.rice.edu
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Looking for pointers regarding integration of OCaml plugins into OCaml native code
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 07:06:28 +0100	[thread overview]

David MENTRE wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  2/ It could be possible to load native code into a native code
>     application[1] but Xavier thinks this is no longer possible or too
>     difficult[2]. I haven't be able to find the explanation Xavier is
>     refering to. Has anybody a pointer to it? I would like to understand
>     the issue(s).

Actually, MetaOcaml has most of the machinery needed to do this. I have recently
released to the MetaOcaml hackers list a patch which actually enables native
linking of ocamlopt generated code on Linux/x86. I have no clue as to the level
of support for any other operating system/architecture. I must add that,
although Natdynlink exists in MetaOcaml, it is definitely not a mature
implementation. I had to solve several issues myself before I could get my
AS/Xcaml to run any bit of a web application in native dynamic mode. Yet, after
all the bugfixing, I only have a proof-of-concept implementation, which is not
stable enough for production use. A lot more testing and feedback is needed the
by the MetaOcamlers to get this feature to work right.

And, by the way, MetaOcaml is really much more stable than its official "alpha"
status implies. As far as I seen while experimenting with building the AS/Xcaml,
is that Natdynlink needs more work. The rest seems fairly robust.

Alex

Ing. Alessandro Baretta

Studio Baretta
http://studio.baretta.com/

Consulenza Tecnologica e Ingegneria Industriale
Technological Consulting and Industrial Engineering

tel. +39 02 370 111 55
fax. +39 02 370 111 54