From: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
To: Yu-Hui Liu <Calvin.Liu@Sun.COM>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Any roadmap for OCaml compiler?
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:23:05 +0200	[thread overview]

> I briefly went through website http://caml.inria.fr/ but didn't find the
> information of the roadmap of OCaml compiler. Is it still a on-going
> project?

<joke>
I went through the java.sun.com website and the latest roadmap I could
find was dated 2003.  Is it still an ongoing project?
</joke>
(Apologies, couldn't resist when I saw your e-mail address :-)

More seriously: yes, OCaml is actively developed and meticulously
maintained.  There is one ".0" release with new features approximately
every year, and bug-fix releases every 3 months or so.  There's also a
solid user community that contributes quite a lot of OCaml software,
libraries and tools, see the "Caml Hump" on the Web site.

> If someone still working on it and fixing bugs for it?

Yes, the core Caml development team, approximately 5 persons at INRIA
and U.Nagoya.  We're all tenured academics, so we have no problems
with long-term projects.

> What's the plan for it for its future?

First, maintain and evolve it to support the needs of the many serious
users we have.  The rest depends mostly on the results of our research
on programming languages, as as usual with research, I won't tell you
what we're going to find before we've found it.

Regards,

- Xavier Leroy