* Any roadmap for OCaml compiler?
@ 2006-04-21 17:28 Yu-Hui Liu
From: Yu-Hui Liu @ 2006-04-21 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi, there,

I briefly went through website http://caml.inria.fr/ but didn't find the
information of the roadmap of OCaml compiler. Is it still a on-going
project? If someone still working on it and fixing bugs for it? What's
the plan for it for its future?

Thanks.
Calvin

* Re: [Caml-list] Any roadmap for OCaml compiler?
@ 2006-04-21 18:36 ` David MENTRE
From: David MENTRE @ 2006-04-21 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yu-Hui Liu; +Cc: caml-list

Hello Yu-Hui,

Yu-Hui Liu <Calvin.Liu@Sun.COM> writes:

> I briefly went through website http://caml.inria.fr/ but didn't find the
> information of the roadmap of OCaml compiler.

<rant>Lack of marketing parliance does not mean that the project is
dead.</rant> :-)

> Is it still a on-going project?

Yes. It is actively developed. See recent commits on the CVS:
  http://camlcvs.inria.fr/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ocaml/

> If someone still working on it and fixing bugs for it?

Yes, a whole research team from INRIA is working on it.

Bugs are fixed, see the Bug Tracking system:
  http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

> What's the plan for it for its future?

That's the 10.000€ question. :)

Best wishes,
david -- not working at INRIA and happy OCaml user
--
pub  1024D/A3AD7A2A 2004-10-03 David MENTRE <dmentre@linux-france.org>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A

* Re: [Caml-list] Any roadmap for OCaml compiler?
@ 2006-04-23 16:23 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2006-04-23 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yu-Hui Liu; +Cc: caml-list

> I briefly went through website http://caml.inria.fr/ but didn't find the
> information of the roadmap of OCaml compiler. Is it still a on-going
> project?

<joke>
I went through the java.sun.com website and the latest roadmap I could
find was dated 2003.  Is it still an ongoing project?
</joke>
(Apologies, couldn't resist when I saw your e-mail address :-)

More seriously: yes, OCaml is actively developed and meticulously
maintained.  There is one ".0" release with new features approximately
every year, and bug-fix releases every 3 months or so.  There's also a
solid user community that contributes quite a lot of OCaml software,
libraries and tools, see the "Caml Hump" on the Web site.

> If someone still working on it and fixing bugs for it?

Yes, the core Caml development team, approximately 5 persons at INRIA
and U.Nagoya.  We're all tenured academics, so we have no problems
with long-term projects.

> What's the plan for it for its future?

First, maintain and evolve it to support the needs of the many serious
users we have.  The rest depends mostly on the results of our research
on programming languages, as as usual with research, I won't tell you
what we're going to find before we've found it.

Regards,

- Xavier Leroy