* Mac x86 shared libraries
@ 2006-05-28 21:26 Nicolas Cannasse
From: Nicolas Cannasse @ 2006-05-28 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

One of the users of the haXe compiler (http://haxe.org) is trying to run
the install script on a new Macbook. He gets the following error :

ocaml install.ml

Cannot load required shared library dllunix.
Reason: dynamic loading not supported on this platform.
Reference to undefined global `Unix'

He checked on OCaml CVS and same error.
Any idea ?

Nicolas

* Re: [Caml-list] Mac x86 shared libraries
@ 2006-05-31 15:59 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2006-05-31 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Cannasse; +Cc: caml-list

 > ocaml install.ml
 >
 > Cannot load required shared library dllunix.
 > Reason: dynamic loading not supported on this platform.
 > Reference to undefined global `Unix'
 >
 > He checked on OCaml CVS and same error.
 > Any idea ?

Well, as it says: dynamic loading of C stub code is not currently
supported under MacOSX/x86, so you can't do #load "unix.cma" from the
standard toplevel.  Remember, this is not guaranteed to work
everywhere, only on platforms that support DLL loading.

Someone posted a small patch to configure that enables loading of DLL
on MacOSX/x86.  It's not yet in CVS because I'd like to test some
more, and that will have to wait until my new shiny MacBook Pro
arrives.  Feel free to fish the patch from the mailing list archives
and give it a try.

Alternatively, fix the Makefile to compile install.ml to a bytecode
executable and run that.  This would work everywhere.

- Xavier Leroy