* Windows (MSVC) source build of 3.09.2 fails
@ 2006-06-02 11:55 Robert Roessler
From: Robert Roessler @ 2006-06-02 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-list

Much like 3.09.01, 3.09.02 does not build properly for me... the build
instructionss from README.win32 are followed, no errors seem to be
issued, but at the end of all four makes, there are NO *.opt.exe files
present in OCaml's bin subdirectory - everything else that is supposed
to be there seems to be.

I am using the full Cygwin install with MSVC .NET 2003 (C/C++ 7.1),
and so am following the instructions for building given in "The native
Win32 port built with Microsoft Visual C" - and THAT is where the
problem is.

Purely by chance, I happened to notice that at the end of the "The
native Win32 port built with Mingw" section there is an additional
build step listed: "make -f Makefile.nt opt.opt".  Note that without
being particularly attuned to the team's use of the "opt.opt"
nomenclature, one *might* expect that a target called "opt" would do
the job.

And so, there are NOT *four* makes, but *five*, which explains the
problem... note that this doc error only [finally] came to light
because of the ongoing absence of Windows binary builds. ;)

Robert Roessler
roessler@rftp.com
http://www.rftp.com

only message in thread, other threads:[~2006-06-02 11:55 UTC | newest]