* ANN: RASCL's A Simple Configuration Language
@ 2006-06-29  1:36 Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2006-06-29  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Here's yet another configuration language--with an OCaml library to
process it, of course.

RASCL came into being after I investigated the Config_file library and
found it overly complex--which may say more about me than about the
library. But at any rate, RASCL, the language, and Rascl, the OCaml
library attempt to be about as simple as possible for both users and
developers, at the expense of some generality.

Here are some of the main features:

* A RASCL file may be just a sequence of keys and values, or it may
   be arbitrarily nested.
* Values may be strings, integers, floats, booleans, or lists thereof.
* No OCaml-specific types supported (that's a feature, not a bug ;-)
* Strings need not be quoted unless they contain special characters
   or would otherwise be parsed as another type.
* Two interfaces for accessing configs:
   - Dict module
   - Object system, with a CamlP4 preprocessor to generate objects
     and sample config files

BTW, I have attempted to provide thorough documentation for the language
RASCL--in case anyone wants to implement it for other programming
languages. However, I don't have a lot of experience writing language
specifications, and there are probably some errors and ambiguities. I'd
appreciate feedback from any interested and knowledgeable parties.

RASCL and Rascl may be found at:  <http://matt.gushee.net/rascl/>

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :

only message in thread, other threads:[~2006-06-29  1:35 UTC | newest]