* OCaml & Microsoft?
@ 2006-07-26  1:22 Matt Gushee
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Matt Gushee @ 2006-07-26  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi, all--

I just noticed that Microsoft is a member of the OCaml Consortium.
Anyone know what, if anything, they are actually using OCaml for?

I am preparing an OCaml presentation for my local Linux user's group,
and this seems like an interesting sidelight (though perhaps not
entirely welcome, given the audience).

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml & Microsoft?
@ 2006-07-26  1:27 ` Robert Roessler
From: Robert Roessler @ 2006-07-26  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-list

Matt Gushee wrote:
> I just noticed that Microsoft is a member of the OCaml Consortium.
> Anyone know what, if anything, they are actually using OCaml for?
>
> I am preparing an OCaml presentation for my local Linux user's group,
> and this seems like an interesting sidelight (though perhaps not
> entirely welcome, given the audience).

One might assume that this is connected to their F# work - although
those in the know could certainly give a more complete/accurate answer...

Robert Roessler
roessler@rftp.com
http://www.rftp.com

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml & Microsoft?
@ 2006-07-26  7:36 ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2006-07-26  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 07:22:17PM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:
> Hi, all--
>
> I just noticed that Microsoft is a member of the OCaml Consortium.
> Anyone know what, if anything, they are actually using OCaml for?
[...]

They have developed F#, a OCaml-port without OO-layer.

Also some Haskell-people are at M$, so I think they see
that FPLs are a powerful tool.

> I am preparing an OCaml presentation for my local Linux user's group,
> and this seems like an interesting sidelight (though perhaps not
> entirely welcome, given the audience).

I was wondering since when M$ is part of the OCaml consortium.
I think they weren't from the beginning on. (Maybe this information
could be added to the OCaml-pages, where the consortium is mentioned?!).

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml & Microsoft?
@ 2006-07-26  8:15 ` Virgile Prevosto
From: Virgile Prevosto @ 2006-07-26  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Le mar 25 jui 2006 19:22:17 CEST,
Matt Gushee <matt@gushee.net> a écrit :
> I just noticed that Microsoft is a member of the OCaml Consortium.
> Anyone know what, if anything, they are actually using OCaml for?

This is a bit hidden in Microsoft's site, but according to this page
(see "The Right Tools for the Job" item)
<http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/tools/sdv-case.mspx>,
Ocaml is used in their Static Driver Verifier (SDV).
--
E tutto per oggi, a la prossima volta.
Virgile

* Re: OCaml & Microsoft?
@ 2006-07-26  9:12 ` Till Varoquaux
From: Till Varoquaux @ 2006-07-26  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Basile STARYNKEVITCH; +Cc: caml-list

Microsoft research (at least the cambridge UK branch) uses ocaml for
some of its projects like terminator (static program analysis).
Also, I'm guessing we will see some of the nice ocaml feature
trickling in C# (or another mainstream caml language) one of these
days (that's probably what F# is for).
Some of the members of the Cambridge lab are active ocaml users (Simon
Peyton-Jones for instance). I guess a good part of the the functional
programming community uses ocaml. Even Philip Wadler uses it to code
Links... IMHO Haskel is more of of a conceptual language. Ocaml seems
handier for many tasks.
Following this logic, Haskel being prized by Microsoft research, ocaml
is often their language of choice.

Till

PS: this mail tainted by my personnal opinion, lets not start a flame war.