From: Mattias Waldau <mattias.waldau@abc.se>
To: Brian Hurt <bhurt@janestcapital.com>, caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] How to refactor a large Ocaml program
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:09:33 +0100	[thread overview]

Yes, editing and compiling until it works is a way to refactor, and I
used that method before. However, this only works if you know what you
are doing. In many cases you realize the change you made was stupid and
you have to roll back, i.e. undo or revert using CVS.

One problem with ocaml syntax is the open-statement, i.e. this makes it
unclear for an editor

Ocaml already has the -dtypes. Why doesn't this file contain information
about where the functions and types are defined.

For example, if you have a function call

open Filename;

let _ =
	concat .........

in main.ml

the main.annot contains

"main.ml" 183 7050 7070 "main.ml" 183 7050 7085
type(
   string -> string -> string
)

An improvement would be if it also contained information about the
function, i.e.

"main.ml" 183 7050 7070 "main.ml" 183 7050 7085
type(
   Filename.concat: string -> string -> string
)

Then, the editor mode 'M-x goto-tag' or similar could look in the .annot
file and open the correct file and go to the definition. (Maybe more
information than Filename.concat is needed).

Also, it would be very simple to find all calls to a specific function,
for example Filename.concat, just grep through all the annot-files.

---

When I wrote this, I thought that a simple solution would be to always
write the module name first and stop using 'open Filename'. However,
this doesn't work, since you are not allowed to write Filename.concat
inside the filename.ml file. Why? Couldn't we have a special case for this?

-- Mattias