* ANNOUNCE: lablpcre-1.0 - a PCRE binding for Objective Caml
@ 2007-01-29  5:42 Robert Roessler
From: Robert Roessler @ 2007-01-29  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-list

The "1.0" release of the LablPCRE OCaml binding for PCRE is now
available, fully supporting Linux and Windows builds PCRE versions 6.1
- 7.0 (current).

LablPCRE provides simple and easy to use access to regular expression
matching, offering a rich module-based interface based on PCRE's POSIX
functions wrapper.

This release has been built and tested using OCaml 3.09.3 on Fedora
Core 6 and Windows XP, supports findlib and "hands-off" building and
installing (no "configure" script or manual file editing required),
and has pre-built binaries for [native] Windows XP.  The full package
is licensed under the "new" BSD license, and may be downloaded here:

http://www.rftp.com/Downloads.shtml

Robert Roessler
roessler@rftp.com
http://www.rftp.com

* Re: [Caml-list] ANNOUNCE: lablpcre-1.0 - a PCRE binding for Objective Caml
@ 2007-01-31 15:16 ` Eric Cooper
From: Eric Cooper @ 2007-01-31 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-list

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 09:42:02PM -0800, Robert Roessler wrote:
> LablPCRE provides simple and easy to use access to regular expression
> matching, offering a rich module-based interface based on PCRE's POSIX
> functions wrapper.

Can you (or anyone familiar with both) summarize how this binding
compares to Markus Mottl's pcre-ocaml?  Thanks.

* Re: [Caml-list] ANNOUNCE: lablpcre-1.0 - a PCRE binding for Objective Caml
@ 2007-01-31 15:31   ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2007-01-31 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-list

On 1/31/07, Eric Cooper <ecc@cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 09:42:02PM -0800, Robert Roessler wrote:
> > LablPCRE provides simple and easy to use access to regular expression
> > matching, offering a rich module-based interface based on PCRE's POSIX
> > functions wrapper.
>
> Can you (or anyone familiar with both) summarize how this binding
> compares to Markus Mottl's pcre-ocaml?  Thanks.

I don't know much about it, but it seems to implement the API for
POSIX-style regular expressions whereas pcre-ocaml implements Perl
compatibility regular expressions.  There are obviously no functions for
string substitution, etc., in LablPCRE (yet).

Regards,
Markus

--
Markus Mottl        http://www.ocaml.info        markus.mottl@gmail.com

* Re: [Caml-list] ANNOUNCE: lablpcre-1.0 - a PCRE binding for Objective Caml
@ 2007-02-01  0:13   ` Robert Roessler
From: Robert Roessler @ 2007-02-01  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-list

Eric Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 09:42:02PM -0800, Robert Roessler wrote:
>> LablPCRE provides simple and easy to use access to regular expression
>> matching, offering a rich module-based interface based on PCRE's POSIX
>> functions wrapper.
>
> Can you (or anyone familiar with both) summarize how this binding
> compares to Markus Mottl's pcre-ocaml?  Thanks.

As Markus says, it does implement the POSIX API for regular expression
matching and extraction of sub-patterns... but note that that just
[here] controls the "level" of the interface: there is a regcomp
function for compiling the patterns and a regexec call for matching a
compiled pattern against a specific string.

The full "language" of PCRE for matching and pattern specification is
accepted.  Further, LablPCRE adds an even lighter-weight regmatch
function when all that is desired is a boolean answer on a match, as
well as a set of substring extraction and [error] status info accessor
functions.

LablPCRE makes an effort to be a good GC-citizen by not holding
references to anything it doesn't need to. :)

Finally, LablPCRE supports PCRE 7.0 (or any of the releases back to 6.1).

Robert Roessler
roessler@rftp.com
http://www.rftp.com