From: Robert Roessler <roessler@rftp.com>
To: Caml List <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] ocamlc vs ocamlc.opt?
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 00:56:28 -0800	[thread overview]

Aleksey Nogin wrote:
> On 31.01.2007 14:16, Robert Roessler wrote:
>
>> I just ran into a problem where building a bytecode executable failed
>> with findlib ("ocamlfind ocamlc ...") but the equivalent non-findlib
>> command worked.  Then I saw that I could force the same error message
>> in my non-findlib build by just matching findlib's ocamlc.opt, while I
>> had used ocamlc.
>>
>> The command line is:
>> ocamlc -o bait -I +lablgtk2 -I +lablscintilla -thread threads.cma
>> lablgtk.cma gtkInit.cmo scintilla.cma bait.ml
>>
>> which works fine.  Changing ocamlc to ocamlc.opt yields:
>> Error on dynamically loaded library:
>> /usr/lib/ocaml/stublibs/dlllablscintilla.so: undefined symbol:
>> caml_names_of_builtin_cprim
>>
>> This is on FC6, with a Yum-installed OCaml 3.09.3 package.  Both of
>> the versions of the compiler identify themselves as 3.09.3 with the
>> same standard library location, and both were built on Dec 2 of 2006.
>>
> It's possible that there was some problem with how it was compiled. Feel
> free to try my RPM from
> http://rpm.nogin.org/MetaPRL/fc6/ocaml-3.09.3-1.rhfc6.i386.html (you
> should be able to use http://rpmbin.nogin.org/MetaPRL/fedora-6/ in yum,
> with http://rpmbin.nogin.org/GPG-PUBKEY.txt key, if you prefer
> installing via yum).

Thanks - that is actually what I have been working on doing (I was
trying to get this far so I had something to reply to Olivier's and
now your suggestion)... ;)

Your package is the "gold standard" for Linux builds of OCaml, AFAICT.

But things are not quite as smooth as they could be - since Zod comes
with all this Yum[my goodness], I was trying to stick with it... which
is why I had it go ahead and install the "3.09.3" packages it said it
had in its repo, along with the offered lablgtk (I removed both of these).

Next I had difficulties with the key file you suggest, when I tried to
  do an "rpm --install" with the key file... rpm would just appear to
hang with the key file as an argument after the --install.

So I just said (^*%^^%%^ and did an rpm -iv with your rpm sitting
around locally, which worked fine.  Of course, Yum now shows it as
being installed, but is unable to reinstall lablgtk because it says
that it is unable to satisfy the "3.09.3" requirement.  Sigh.

So much for the brave new world of automated package management.  I
will just go ahead now and do a source build of lablgtk, which I know
to be easy (at least on Windows). ;)

Robert Roessler
roessler@rftp.com
http://www.rftp.com