From: "Stéphane DUPRAT" <stephane.duprat@atosorigin.com>
To: Julien Peeters <jj.peeters@gmail.com>, caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Modeling tool for OCaml?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 11:00:41 +0100	[thread overview]

I'd quite the same question one week ago.

As we see in the home page of ocaml at INRIA, "/Caml supports
functional, imperative, and object-oriented programming styles/".
I think that you are interested by the functional one.
So, even if Ocaml allows you to make algorithm with the imperative
features, it is interesting to make programs without them almost for two
reasons :
  - this is an other way to think your program
  - for a better quality of your program (less global var => less
side-effects) according to my little experience

As for designing method, it seems that flow charts are generally
convenient but not for all (ex: concept of interface with signature of a
module).
As for me, I almost need a design language to describe a project that is
already developed and data-flow could be extracted from the code (this
is doc-generation).
At a higher level, if you want to describe organization of you project
into modules and libraries, you can use component diagram in UML to have
a standard representation.

I regret that modeling tools are not used for ocaml development, I think
it could be better to share same methods and representation in that domain.

Stéphane Duprat