* Problem to install ocaml
@ 2007-02-07 11:49 michel levy
From: michel levy @ 2007-02-07 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Can you help me to solve this installation problem occured during the
installation from sources of ocaml-3.09.3 on a sun sparc.
The 'make world' terminates with the message :
ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable sections
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [liblabltk.a] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/local/ocaml-3.09.3/otherlibs/labltk/support'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/local/ocaml-3.09.3/otherlibs/labltk'
make[1]: *** [otherlibraries] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/local/ocaml-3.09.3'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

After that we have tried ./configure -no-tk
i.e. Do not attempt to build LablTk
and the installation has terminated correctly.

--
Michel Levy
e.mail : Michel.Levy@imag.fr    tel :(33)476514022

* Re: [Caml-list] Problem to install ocaml
@ 2007-02-07 20:21 ` David MENTRE
From: David MENTRE @ 2007-02-07 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michel levy; +Cc: caml-list

Hello,

2007/2/7, michel levy <michel.levy@imag.fr>:
> Can you help me to solve this installation problem occured during the
> installation from sources of ocaml-3.09.3 on a sun sparc.
> The 'make world' terminates with the message :
> ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable sections
[...]
> After that we have tried ./configure -no-tk
> i.e. Do not attempt to build LablTk
> and the installation has terminated correctly.

After some googling, it seems that this error appears when the linked
library (in your case Tk) is not built as a shared library[1].

Have you compiled Tk yourself? Is there any --shared or the like
option to configure script of Tk?

Another possible cause is that you don't always use GNU ld to build
your software. Check that both OCaml and Tk are configured to use GNU
ld.

I hope that helps,
Good luck,
d.