* A dynamic types simulator for teaching OCaml ?
@ 2007-02-22 14:45 David Teller
From: David Teller @ 2007-02-22 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

As I've mentioned a few times, this term, I find myself teaching OCaml
to second year students. One of the things they have trouble
understanding is the role of the type system: in their mind, type errors
tend to be "something that OCaml won't let them do" rather than "a
likely error detected by OCaml in their design". In turn, I extrapolate
that this this is one of the reasons for the success of
dynamically-typed (if not fully untyped) languages: programmers don't
feel constrained by an error checker they don't understand.

After some thought, I believe that one good way of getting students to
understand why the type system is good for them would be to let
themselves get burnt by type errors a few time. In turn, if this is to
be part of teaching OCaml, this would require a dynamically typed
"simulator" for the language: an interpreter accepting any syntactically
correct expression and executing it until a manifest type error, then
displaying a nice, detailed explanation of what that error is all about.
In other words, something like a Scheme interpreter with a nice
pre-processor/pretty-printer.

Does anyone know if such a tool already exists ?

Thanks,
 David

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-02-22 14:46 UTC | newest]