* vacuous findlib warnings
@ 2007-02-26 15:42 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2007-02-26 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I see findlib warnings like this:
findlib: [WARNING] Interface qbase.cmi occurs in several directories:
../../lib, .
this is because there is indeed ../../lib/qbase.cmi which is a symbolic
link pointing to ./qbase.cmi (so there is no real duplication, the files
point to the same inode).

Is it possible to modify findlib to check that the files are really
different disk objects (inodes) before issuing the warning?

What is the right place to report bugs/ask for improvements in findlib?

thanks
Sam

* Re: [Caml-list] vacuous findlib warnings
@ 2007-02-26 22:33 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2007-02-26 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 10:42:42AM -0500, Sam Steingold wrote:
> I see findlib warnings like this:
> findlib: [WARNING] Interface qbase.cmi occurs in several directories:
> ../../lib, .
> this is because there is indeed ../../lib/qbase.cmi which is a symbolic
> link pointing to ./qbase.cmi (so there is no real duplication, the files
> point to the same inode).
>
> Is it possible to modify findlib to check that the files are really
> different disk objects (inodes) before issuing the warning?

Agreed.  Even better if it could compare the md5 of the interfaces.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat UK Limited

* Re: vacuous findlib warnings
@ 2007-02-26 22:50   ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2007-02-26 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: caml-list

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 10:42:42AM -0500, Sam Steingold wrote:
>> I see findlib warnings like this:
>> findlib: [WARNING] Interface qbase.cmi occurs in several directories:
>> ../../lib, .
>> this is because there is indeed ../../lib/qbase.cmi which is a symbolic
>> link pointing to ./qbase.cmi (so there is no real duplication, the files
>> point to the same inode).
>>
>> Is it possible to modify findlib to check that the files are really
>> different disk objects (inodes) before issuing the warning?
>
> Agreed.  Even better if it could compare the md5 of the interfaces.

I would rather not use a checksum here - it has no advantage over an
honest cmp(1). Actually, cmp(1) is probably faster (because it does not
have to read the whole file to give a negative answer), and it returns
TRT (no false positives).

Sam.