* OCaml on Fedora Core
@ 2007-03-17 16:31 Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2007-03-17 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Since I've started working (again) at Red Hat and I'm using Fedora,
I've come to notice the fairly dismal state of OCaml on Fedora.  Well,
dismal isn't really the right word - there are a few basic packages
which are perfectly good, but that's it.

So with that in mind I want to help to get things moving by starting
an OCaml on Fedora project.  If you would like to join, please edit
this page:

http://fedoraocaml.team-notepad.com/

(You will need to create an account from a valid email address first).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Fedora Core
@ 2007-03-17 17:31 ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2007-03-17 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: Caml List

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 16:31 +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> Since I've started working (again) at Red Hat and I'm using Fedora,
> I've come to notice the fairly dismal state of OCaml on Fedora.  Well,
> dismal isn't really the right word - there are a few basic packages
> which are perfectly good, but that's it.
>
> So with that in mind I want to help to get things moving by starting
> an OCaml on Fedora project.  If you would like to join, please edit
> this page:
>
> http://fedoraocaml.team-notepad.com/
>
> (You will need to create an account from a valid email address first).

Alien may help -- it can convert Debian packages to rpms,
or so it claims.

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Fedora Core
@ 2007-03-17 17:34 ` Aleksey Nogin
From: Aleksey Nogin @ 2007-03-17 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: Caml List

On 17.03.2007 09:31, Richard Jones wrote:

> Since I've started working (again) at Red Hat and I'm using Fedora,
> I've come to notice the fairly dismal state of OCaml on Fedora.  Well,
> dismal isn't really the right word - there are a few basic packages
> which are perfectly good, but that's it.
>
> So with that in mind I want to help to get things moving by starting
> an OCaml on Fedora project.

Richard,

This sounds really great. I've been building Fedora RPMs for the last
few releases (the ones listed at http://rpm.nogin.org/ocaml.html and
linked from http://caml.inria.fr/ocaml/release.en.html ). However I
myself no longer use Fedora (only Red Hat EL at work and CentOS at
home). Because of that, I did not have energy to push for a better
integration of OCaml into Fedora, for working with Fedora Extras, etc.

> If you would like to join, please edit this page:
>
> http://fedoraocaml.team-notepad.com/

This page currently states "This project is not affiliated with Red Hat
and does not provide support for RHEL."

As I said, RHEL and CentOS is what I and a number of my colleagues
currently use and I would like to keep providing "unofficial"
RHEL/CentOS binaries for them. If the project would have its primary
focus on Fedora, but would still provide RHEL-compatible .src.rpm and
distribute RHEL-compatible binaries (and there is no need to be
affiliated with Red Hat for that), I would be much more inclined to join.

Aleksey