* RE: [Caml-list] beta-test of OCaml 3.10.0: compiling on Windows,trying the new Camlp4
@ 2007-03-23 17:44 EL CHAAR Rabih   SGAM/AI/SAM
From: EL CHAAR Rabih   SGAM/AI/SAM @ 2007-03-23 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthieu Wipliez, Caml List

Just a comment concerning the microsoft build.

There is a batch called vcvars32.bat which handles setting correctly the VC2005 environment.

Calling it (in cygwin.bat) should handle all your problems for compilation.

For the rest of your questions, I can't be of any assistance.

Sincerely,

Rabih

________________________________

From: Jean-Marc EBER @ 2007-03-23 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List; +Cc: EL CHAAR Rabih SGAM/AI/SAM, Matthieu Wipliez

Hi all,

I also checked a few days ago the compilation/bootstrap of "ocaml3.10 beta" with
vs2005 under cygwin (32 bits only):

We don't use CamlP4, so I can't comment on that.

Most of the points mentionned by Matthieu seem to be "vs2005 installation"
related (you could install your IDE and/or compiler somewhere else) and, as
Rabih said, can be installed by a batch file.

- I didn't have any problem with the "ocaml-3.10.0+beta.tar.gz" file. Everything
worked out of the box.

- If you try a compilation on a version obtained by "cvs -d .... checkout -r
release310 ocaml":

. a bootstrap problem has been fixed yesterday (a binary file was not marked as
binary in the cvs)
. under "some" cygwin installations (don't ask me why!), the file ./VERSION
obtained from cvs checkout has corrupted end of line caracters. So you must edit
it to put it into "windows" text form.

But then, everything worked correctly.

BTW: the "mingw version" also compiled fine.

Jean-Marc

@ 2007-03-24 15:40 ` Nicolas Pouillard
From: Nicolas Pouillard @ 2007-03-24 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthieu Wipliez; +Cc: Caml List

On 3/23/07, Matthieu Wipliez <mwipliez@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
Hello,

[...]

> After compilation/installation, I tested this new version, compiling with
> "ocamlc.opt -pp camlp4o.opt". Is it still the right way to preprocess with
> Camlp4 ?

If you want to use the original syntax, yes.

> Anyway, here's what I obtain:
>   - in a class, "method private virtual" is not accepted anymore, the order
> has to be "method virtual private".

It was a bug in the new camlp4 (fixed in CVS).

>   - assert MySet.is_empty set; is not accepted anymore either, I have to add
> brackets: assert (MySet.is_empty set);

Assuming you want the original syntax, then it was a bug to accept it
since ocamlc also requires parentheses.

>   - compiling a file containing this kind of comment (* <<<< COMMENT *)
> fails with "Quotation not terminated".

That's not a bug that's a feature like strings, quotations are read by
the lexer.
However if you don't use quotation in your source file you can give
the  -no_quot option to camlp4.

>   - in a .mli, declaring an empty module ABC, with "module type ABC" does
> not work (but does without preprocessing).

I missed that feature (now fixed in CVS too).

> I used the version from
> http://caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/ocaml-3.10/ocaml-3.10.0+beta.tar.gz,
> so maybe some things have been corrected since.

Yes, try the CVS (-r release310).

The new changes will be propagated in a few hours.

--
Nicolas Pouillard