* cameleon2
@ 2007-03-24 14:08 Christophe Raffalli
From: Christophe Raffalli @ 2007-03-24 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Helo,

Did someone succeed in compiling Cameleon2
(http://home.gna.org/cameleon) on OS X. Here is the result of ./configure:

$ ./configure
Cannot load required shared library dllunix.
Reason: dynamic loading not supported on this platform.

Thanks,
Christophe Raffalli

* Re: [Caml-list] cameleon2
@ 2007-03-24 18:33 ` Christophe Raffalli
From: Christophe Raffalli @ 2007-03-24 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Raffalli; +Cc: caml-list

Christophe Raffalli a écrit :

> Helo,
>
> Did someone succeed in compiling Cameleon2
> (http://home.gna.org/cameleon) on OS X. Here is the result of
> ./configure:
>
> $ ./configure
> Cannot load required shared library dllunix.
> Reason: dynamic loading not supported on this platform.

In fact this is a problem with the fink ocaml package !

ocaml unix.cma do not work and generates the above message.

> Thanks,
> Christophe Raffalli

* Re: [Caml-list] cameleon2
@ 2007-03-24 23:52   ` Christophe Raffalli
From: Christophe Raffalli @ 2007-03-24 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Raffalli; +Cc: caml-list

OK, I am making progress:

- no problem with the fink ocaml package on my laptop G4 and also no
more problem using ocaml-3.10 on my intel OS X box.

I am now stopped in both case by

*/sw/bin/ocamlopt.opt -warn-error FSPUYZ -dtypes -a -o
tmpl-engine/tmpl-engine.cmxa -I +ocamldoc -I ocaml/parsing -I
ocaml/typing -I ocaml/driver -I ocaml/utils -I odot -I okey -I utils -I
odiff -I tdl -I tmpl-engine -I sqml -I config_file -I configwin -I
gtksv-utils -I report -I dbforge -I ocamlcvs -I editor -I cameleon -I
camtop -I plugins -I '/sw/lib/ocaml/site-lib/pcre' -I
'/sw/lib/ocaml/lablgtk2' -I '/sw/lib/ocaml/lablgtk2' -I
'/sw/lib/ocaml/lablgtksourceview' -I '/sw/lib/ocaml'
ar: no archive members specified
usage:  ar -d [-TLsv] archive file ...
        ar -m [-TLsv] archive file ...
        ar -m [-abiTLsv] position archive file ...
        ar -p [-TLsv] archive [file ...]
        ar -q [-cTLsv] archive file ...
        ar -r [-cuTLsv] archive file ...
        ar -r [-abciuTLsv] position archive file ...
        ar -t [-TLsv] archive [file ...]
        ar -x [-ouTLsv] archive [file ...]
Error while creating the library tmpl-engine/tmpl-engine.a
make[1]: *** [tmpl-engine/tmpl-engine.cmxa] Error 2
rm tmpl-engine/tmplLexer.ml

Any idea ?*

Christophe Raffalli

PS:Chamo looks interesting  !

* Re: [Caml-list] cameleon2
@ 2007-03-25  8:53     ` Christophe Raffalli
From: Christophe Raffalli @ 2007-03-25  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Raffalli; +Cc: caml-list

Christophe Raffalli a écrit :
> OK, I am making progress:
>
> - no problem with the fink ocaml package on my laptop G4 and also no
> more problem using ocaml-3.10 on my intel OS X box.
>
> I am now stopped in both case by
>
> */sw/bin/ocamlopt.opt -warn-error FSPUYZ -dtypes -a -o
> tmpl-engine/tmpl-engine.cmxa -I +ocamldoc -I ocaml/parsing -I
> ocaml/typing -I ocaml/driver -I ocaml/utils -I odot -I okey -I utils
> -I odiff -I tdl -I tmpl-engine -I sqml -I config_file -I configwin -I
> gtksv-utils -I report -I dbforge -I ocamlcvs -I editor -I cameleon -I
> camtop -I plugins -I '/sw/lib/ocaml/site-lib/pcre' -I
> '/sw/lib/ocaml/lablgtk2' -I '/sw/lib/ocaml/lablgtk2' -I
> '/sw/lib/ocaml/lablgtksourceview' -I '/sw/lib/ocaml'
> ar: no archive members specified
> usage:  ar -d [-TLsv] archive file ...
>        ar -m [-TLsv] archive file ...
>        ar -m [-abiTLsv] position archive file ...
>        ar -p [-TLsv] archive [file ...]
>        ar -q [-cTLsv] archive file ...
>        ar -r [-cuTLsv] archive file ...
>        ar -r [-abciuTLsv] position archive file ...
>        ar -t [-TLsv] archive [file ...]
>        ar -x [-ouTLsv] archive [file ...]
> Error while creating the library tmpl-engine/tmpl-engine.a
> make[1]: *** [tmpl-engine/tmpl-engine.cmxa] Error 2
> rm tmpl-engine/tmplLexer.ml
Solution found:

Line 801 to 804 of src/Makefile, the variables LIBTMPL_CMXFILES and
LIBTMPL_CMOFILES should be renamed
TMPL_CMXFILES and TMPL_CMOFILES

However, still one small problem: syntax hightlighting is not installed
by default for .ml file in Chamo (while it is installed for a lot of
other languages ...). This is a bit strange ;-)

> Any idea ?*
>
> Christophe Raffalli
>
> PS:Chamo looks interesting  !

* Re: [Caml-list] cameleon2
@ 2007-03-26  6:53       ` Maxence Guesdon
From: Maxence Guesdon @ 2007-03-26  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:53:33 +0200
Christophe Raffalli <Christophe.Raffalli@univ-savoie.fr> wrote:

> Christophe Raffalli a écrit :
> > OK, I am making progress:
> >
> > - no problem with the fink ocaml package on my laptop G4 and also no
> > more problem using ocaml-3.10 on my intel OS X box.
> >
> > I am now stopped in both case by
> >
> > */sw/bin/ocamlopt.opt -warn-error FSPUYZ -dtypes -a -o
> > tmpl-engine/tmpl-engine.cmxa -I +ocamldoc -I ocaml/parsing -I
> > ocaml/typing -I ocaml/driver -I ocaml/utils -I odot -I okey -I utils
> > -I odiff -I tdl -I tmpl-engine -I sqml -I config_file -I configwin -I
> > gtksv-utils -I report -I dbforge -I ocamlcvs -I editor -I cameleon -I
> > camtop -I plugins -I '/sw/lib/ocaml/site-lib/pcre' -I
> > '/sw/lib/ocaml/lablgtk2' -I '/sw/lib/ocaml/lablgtk2' -I
> > '/sw/lib/ocaml/lablgtksourceview' -I '/sw/lib/ocaml'
> > ar: no archive members specified
> > usage:  ar -d [-TLsv] archive file ...
> >        ar -m [-TLsv] archive file ...
> >        ar -m [-abiTLsv] position archive file ...
> >        ar -p [-TLsv] archive [file ...]
> >        ar -q [-cTLsv] archive file ...
> >        ar -r [-cuTLsv] archive file ...
> >        ar -r [-abciuTLsv] position archive file ...
> >        ar -t [-TLsv] archive [file ...]
> >        ar -x [-ouTLsv] archive [file ...]
> > Error while creating the library tmpl-engine/tmpl-engine.a
> > make[1]: *** [tmpl-engine/tmpl-engine.cmxa] Error 2
> > rm tmpl-engine/tmplLexer.ml
> Solution found:
>
> Line 801 to 804 of src/Makefile, the variables LIBTMPL_CMXFILES and
> LIBTMPL_CMOFILES should be renamed
> TMPL_CMXFILES and TMPL_CMOFILES

Hello,

Well spotted. I just fixed this in the repository.

> However, still one small problem: syntax hightlighting is not installed
> by default for .ml file in Chamo (while it is installed for a lot of
> other languages ...). This is a bit strange ;-)

Yes indeed. There's a FAQ about this:
http://home.gna.org/cameleon/faq.en.html#noocamlsyntaxhighlight

I'll add some code to make chamo use an additional directory for languages
specs files (used by gtksourceview) when the ocaml mode is not available.

Regards,

Maxence

> > Any idea ?*
> >
> > Christophe Raffalli
> >
> > PS:Chamo looks interesting  !

Maxence Guesdon
http://yquem.inria.fr/~guesdon/
http://devel.inria.fr/rocq/

* Re: [Caml-list] cameleon2
@ 2007-03-26  9:14         ` Christophe Raffalli
From: Christophe Raffalli @ 2007-03-26  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxence Guesdon; +Cc: caml-list

> Yes indeed. There's a FAQ about this:
> http://home.gna.org/cameleon/faq.en.html#noocamlsyntaxhighlight
>
> I'll add some code to make chamo use an additional directory for languages
> specs files (used by gtksourceview) when the ocaml mode is not available.

Why not having the make install of either cameleon either lablgtksourceview
copy ocaml.lang in the general directory (if it is not already there) ?
Moreover, the distrib of lablgtksourceview has ocaml.lang in it.

Just another question: Where to find a readable description on
the customization of Highlighting. I have seen a screen shot mixing
two distincts fonts in gedit ... but was unable to discover how you do that.
I found hat the .lang file defines the regexp needed for highlighting,
but I did not find where to choose the color and fonts ... all this seems
bably documented

Regards,
Christophe

* Re: [Caml-list] cameleon2
@ 2007-03-26  9:34           ` Maxence Guesdon
From: Maxence Guesdon @ 2007-03-26  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:14:06 +0200
Christophe Raffalli <christophe.raffalli@univ-savoie.fr> wrote:

> > Yes indeed. There's a FAQ about this:
> > http://home.gna.org/cameleon/faq.en.html#noocamlsyntaxhighlight
> >
> > I'll add some code to make chamo use an additional directory for
> > languages specs files (used by gtksourceview) when the ocaml mode is
> > not available.
> >

> Why not having the make install of either cameleon either
> lablgtksourceview copy ocaml.lang in the general directory (if it is not
> already there) ? Moreover, the distrib of lablgtksourceview has
> ocaml.lang in it.

On debian/unstable, ocaml.lang is now included in the gtksourceview-common
package. I'm not sure that walking on another package's feet is the right
way to do. But may be testing if the file exists and copy it if it does not
could be ok, indeed.

> Just another question: Where to find a readable description on
> the customization of Highlighting. I have seen a screen shot mixing
> two distincts fonts in gedit ... but was unable to discover how you do
> that. I found hat the .lang file defines the regexp needed for
> highlighting, but I did not find where to choose the color and fonts ...
> all this seems bably documented

It's the application's responsability to associate fonts and colors to
syntax elements. By now, Chamo can only make the user choose one font for
all text of a gtksourceview.
What should be done to have different fonts for different syntax elements
is to improve the gtksv_utils module included in cameleon2, which allows to
use gtksourceviews in various (ocaml) applications and share the same
fonts and colors associations to syntax elements.

For example, topcameleon (a graphical toplevel included in cameleon2) and
chamo share the same colors and fonts for the ocaml syntax mode.

By now, the associations between style and syntax elements for each mode
are stored in your /.mlgtksourceview directory, one xml file per language.

I add to the todo list the ability to have  a different font associated to
each syntax element.

Regards,

Maxence

PS: The file/preferences menu of chamo allows you to configure the styles.

--
Maxence Guesdon
http://yquem.inria.fr/~guesdon/

* Re: [Caml-list] cameleon2
@ 2007-03-27  7:34             ` Maxence Guesdon
       [not found]               ` <4608E388.2030509@univ-savoie.fr>
From: Maxence Guesdon @ 2007-03-27  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:34:06 +0200
Maxence Guesdon <maxence.guesdon@inria.fr> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:14:06 +0200
> Christophe Raffalli <christophe.raffalli@univ-savoie.fr> wrote:
>

> > > Yes indeed. There's a FAQ about this:
> > > http://home.gna.org/cameleon/faq.en.html#noocamlsyntaxhighlight
> > >
> > > I'll add some code to make chamo use an additional directory for
> > > languages specs files (used by gtksourceview) when the ocaml mode is
> > > not available.
> > >

> > Why not having the make install of either cameleon either
> > lablgtksourceview copy ocaml.lang in the general directory (if it is not
> > already there) ? Moreover, the distrib of lablgtksourceview has
> > ocaml.lang in it.
>
> On debian/unstable, ocaml.lang is now included in the gtksourceview-common
> package. I'm not sure that walking on another package's feet is the right
> way to do. But may be testing if the file exists and copy it if it does
> not could be ok, indeed.
>
> > Just another question: Where to find a readable description on
> > the customization of Highlighting. I have seen a screen shot mixing
> > two distincts fonts in gedit ... but was unable to discover how you do
> > that. I found hat the .lang file defines the regexp needed for
> > highlighting, but I did not find where to choose the color and fonts ...
> > all this seems bably documented
>
> It's the application's responsability to associate fonts and colors to
> syntax elements. By now, Chamo can only make the user choose one font for
> all text of a gtksourceview.
> What should be done to have different fonts for different syntax elements
> is to improve the gtksv_utils module included in cameleon2, which allows
> to use gtksourceviews in various (ocaml) applications and share the same
> fonts and colors associations to syntax elements.
>
> For example, topcameleon (a graphical toplevel included in cameleon2) and
> chamo share the same colors and fonts for the ocaml syntax mode.
>
> By now, the associations between style and syntax elements for each mode
> are stored in your /.mlgtksourceview directory, one xml file per language.
>
> I add to the todo list the ability to have  a different font associated to
> each syntax element.

In fact, there is no font attribute in source tag styles of gtksourceviews.
I could not find any gedit screenshot showing two distinct fonts in the same
gtksourceview.

Here is a little explanation about how the gtksourceview works (as I
understand it).

Gtk offers buffers and views on buffers. There can be more than one view on
one buffer. In each buffer, one can define "tags", and associate parts of
the text in a buffer to these tags. These tags can have different style
which allows to render the (parts of) text in different colors, font
weight, ... depending on the associated tags. This is for Gtk.

What gtksourceview brings is a convenient way to define syntax elements and
new buffers and views, inheriting from the original ones of gtk. The new
buffers (source_buffers) can be given a language, which is a description of
syntax elements. The buffers then automatically define tags
corresponding to the syntax elements of the language and associates these
tags to the parts of the text in the buffer, according to the definition
of the syntax elements (keywords, beginning and ending of blocks, ...). The
application only has to define the styles of each of these tags to provide
syntax highlighting.

The styles associated to "syntax tags" can be used to define background and
foreground colors, bold, italic, strikethrough, and underline attributes.

So each application has to define (and eventually store) the attributes
associated to each "syntax tags" for each language.

I hope this explanation was useful (and quite clear).

By the way, the lablgtksourceview library offers bindings to the
gtksourceview library (and so the features above):
http://helm.cs.unibo.it/software/lablgtksourceview/

This library is used in Chamo to provide syntax highlighting.

--
Maxence Guesdon
http://yquem.inria.fr/~guesdon/

* Re: [Caml-list] cameleon2
@ 2007-03-27  9:46               ` Christophe Raffalli
       [not found]               ` <4608E388.2030509@univ-savoie.fr>
From: Christophe Raffalli @ 2007-03-27  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> In fact, there is no font attribute in source tag styles of gtksourceviews.
> I could not find any gedit screenshot showing two distinct fonts in the same
> gtksourceview.

The third screen shot on this page:
http://gtksourceview.sourceforge.net/screens.html

> Here is a little explanation about how the gtksourceview works (as I
> understand it).
>
> Gtk offers buffers and views on buffers. There can be more than one view on
> one buffer. In each buffer, one can define "tags", and associate parts of
> the text in a buffer to these tags. These tags can have different style
> which allows to render the (parts of) text in different colors, font
> weight, ... depending on the associated tags. This is for Gtk.
>
> What gtksourceview brings is a convenient way to define syntax elements and
> new buffers and views, inheriting from the original ones of gtk. The new
> buffers (source_buffers) can be given a language, which is a description of
> syntax elements. The buffers then automatically define tags
> corresponding to the syntax elements of the language and associates these
> tags to the parts of the text in the buffer, according to the definition
> of the syntax elements (keywords, beginning and ending of blocks, ...). The
> application only has to define the styles of each of these tags to provide
> syntax highlighting.
>
> The styles associated to "syntax tags" can be used to define background and
> foreground colors, bold, italic, strikethrough, and underline attributes.
>
> So each application has to define (and eventually store) the attributes
> associated to each "syntax tags" for each language.
>
> I hope this explanation was useful (and quite clear).

Yes very much, thanks. Remark: my previous mail did criticize the doc of gtksourceview not
the one on cameleon or lablgtksourceview, but after rereading it I see it was not so clear,
so sorry for that.

> By the way, the lablgtksourceview library offers bindings to the
> gtksourceview library (and so the features above):
> http://helm.cs.unibo.it/software/lablgtksourceview/
>
> This library is used in Chamo to provide syntax highlighting.

--
Christophe Raffalli
Université de Savoie
Batiment Le Chablais, bureau 21
73376 Le Bourget-du-Lac Cedex

tél: (33) 4 79 75 81 03
fax: (33) 4 79 75 87 42
mail: Christophe.Raffalli@univ-savoie.fr
www: http://www.lama.univ-savoie.fr/~RAFFALLI

* Re: [Caml-list] cameleon2
       [not found]               ` <4608E388.2030509@univ-savoie.fr>
@ 2007-03-27 21:03                 ` Maxence Guesdon
From: Maxence Guesdon @ 2007-03-27 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:27:36 +0200
Christophe Raffalli <christophe.raffalli@univ-savoie.fr> wrote:

> > In fact, there is no font attribute in source tag styles of
> > gtksourceviews. I could not find any gedit screenshot showing two
> > distinct fonts in the same gtksourceview.
> >

> The third screen shot on this page:
> http://gtksourceview.sourceforge.net/screens.html

Hum, I see. I think there is no different fonts here, but an UTF-8 buffer
with ascii characters and I-don't-know-what-language-it-is characters.

Here is a screenshot of the same in chamo:
  http://pauillac.inria.fr/~guesdon/fonts.png
I just googled for pages in japanese and copy/pasted the title of one
result in my buffer. I agree it seems there's a different font for
literal strings.

> > Here is a little explanation about how the gtksourceview works (as I
> > understand it).
> > I hope this explanation was useful (and quite clear).
>
> Yes very much, thanks. Remark: my previous mail did criticize the doc of
> gtksourceview not the one on cameleon or lablgtksourceview, but after
> rereading it I see it was not so clear, so sorry for that.

No problem ;-)

Maxence

--
Maxence Guesdon
http://yquem.inria.fr/~guesdon/

* Re: [Caml-list] cameleon2
@ 2007-03-27 23:14                   ` Christophe Raffalli
From: Christophe Raffalli @ 2007-03-27 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxence Guesdon, caml-list

Maxence Guesdon a écrit :
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:27:36 +0200
> Christophe Raffalli <christophe.raffalli@univ-savoie.fr> wrote:
>

>>> In fact, there is no font attribute in source tag styles of
>>> gtksourceviews. I could not find any gedit screenshot showing two
>>> distinct fonts in the same gtksourceview.
>>>

>> The third screen shot on this page:
>> http://gtksourceview.sourceforge.net/screens.html
>>

> Hum, I see. I think there is no different fonts here, but an UTF-8 buffer
> with ascii characters and I-don't-know-what-language-it-is characters.
>
> Here is a screenshot of the same in chamo:
>   http://pauillac.inria.fr/~guesdon/fonts.png
> I just googled for pages in japanese and copy/pasted the title of one
> result in my buffer. I agree it seems there's a different font for
> literal strings.

OK, I understand .... I have to admit that I should learn what UTF-8
really means ... and after
looking a little, the magic is incredible:

try this:
1) open chamo or gedit
2) press and hold Ctrl and Shift
3) type in 2200
4) release Ctrl and Shift

(OK this is UTF8 + ISO14755 at work under gtk ...)

Christophe