From: Christophe Raffalli <christophe.raffalli@univ-savoie.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] cameleon2
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:46:06 +0200	[thread overview]

> In fact, there is no font attribute in source tag styles of gtksourceviews.
> I could not find any gedit screenshot showing two distinct fonts in the same
> gtksourceview.

The third screen shot on this page:
http://gtksourceview.sourceforge.net/screens.html

> Here is a little explanation about how the gtksourceview works (as I
> understand it).
>
> Gtk offers buffers and views on buffers. There can be more than one view on
> one buffer. In each buffer, one can define "tags", and associate parts of
> the text in a buffer to these tags. These tags can have different style
> which allows to render the (parts of) text in different colors, font
> weight, ... depending on the associated tags. This is for Gtk.
>
> What gtksourceview brings is a convenient way to define syntax elements and
> new buffers and views, inheriting from the original ones of gtk. The new
> buffers (source_buffers) can be given a language, which is a description of
> syntax elements. The buffers then automatically define tags
> corresponding to the syntax elements of the language and associates these
> tags to the parts of the text in the buffer, according to the definition
> of the syntax elements (keywords, beginning and ending of blocks, ...). The
> application only has to define the styles of each of these tags to provide
> syntax highlighting.
>
> The styles associated to "syntax tags" can be used to define background and
> foreground colors, bold, italic, strikethrough, and underline attributes.
>
> So each application has to define (and eventually store) the attributes
> associated to each "syntax tags" for each language.
>
> I hope this explanation was useful (and quite clear).

Yes very much, thanks. Remark: my previous mail did criticize the doc of gtksourceview not
the one on cameleon or lablgtksourceview, but after rereading it I see it was not so clear,
so sorry for that.

--
Christophe Raffalli
Université de Savoie