* Saving the OCaml interpreter state
@ 2007-04-10 22:08 Harrison, John R
From: Harrison, John R @ 2007-04-10 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml

I think I asked roughly this question several years ago, but I would
appreciate

a reminder.

In several read-eval-print loops for functional languages (e.g. Poly,
SML/NJ,

various LISPs), it's possible to save and restore the current state so
you can

start up again in an environment with all the same objects and name
bindings

present. OCaml does not currently allow this. How hard would it be to
modify

OCaml to support save/restore of sessions? At the moment I'm forced into

OS-specific checkpointing of processes.

John.

* Re: [Caml-list] Saving the OCaml interpreter state
@ 2007-04-12 12:27 ` Michael Nedzelsky
From: Michael Nedzelsky @ 2007-04-12 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 02:08 am, Harrison, John R wrote:
> I think I asked roughly this question several years ago, but I would
> appreciate
>
> a reminder.
>

> In several read-eval-print loops for functional languages (e.g. Poly,
> SML/NJ,
>
> various LISPs), it's possible to save and restore the current state so
> you can
>
> start up again in an environment with all the same objects and name
> bindings
>
> present. OCaml does not currently allow this. How hard would it be to
> modify
>
> OCaml to support save/restore of sessions? At the moment I'm forced into
>
> OS-specific checkpointing of processes.

A new version of Poly ML also doesn't have the persistent storage system.

<quote>
The persistent storage system that has been a feature of Poly/ML almost since
the beginning has finally reached its sell-by date and has been removed. In
its place there is the facility to export ML functions as object files and
link them to produce stand-alone executables.
</quote>

Michael

* RE: [Caml-list] Saving the OCaml interpreter state
@ 2007-04-12 15:53   ` Harrison, John R
From: Harrison, John R @ 2007-04-12 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MichaelNedzelsky; +Cc: caml-list

| A new version of Poly ML also doesn't have the persistent storage
system.

Thanks; I didn't know that, and it comes as quite a surprise given
Poly's history.

Still, my question about OCaml stands. More specifically, I want to
know whether the facility to save and restore state doesn't exist
because

 * None of the main OCaml developers particularly care about it

or

 * There are non-trivial technical problems implementing it.

@ 2007-04-12 18:27     ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-04-12 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thursday 12 April 2007 16:53, Harrison, John R wrote:
> | A new version of Poly ML also doesn't have the persistent storage
>
> system.
>
> Thanks; I didn't know that, and it comes as quite a surprise given
> Poly's history.
>
> Still, my question about OCaml stands. More specifically, I want to
> know whether the facility to save and restore state doesn't exist
> because
>
>  * None of the main OCaml developers particularly care about it
>
> or
>
>  * There are non-trivial technical problems implementing it.

Like Michael, I am also not going to answer your question (sorry!) but can I
just say that, as a commercial developer, there would be significant
incentive to write a killer IDE for OCaml if the current top-level was free
for commercial use, e.g. part of the stdlib.

Having been playing with F# recently, I'm starting to appreciate some of the
features afforded by a decent IDE. However, both OCaml and F# lack features
found in the other and, more importantly, lack many features that could be
hugely beneficial, particularly to users of the interactive systems.

Marshalling top-level state is one such feature.

OCaml for Scientists

* Re: [Caml-list] Saving the OCaml interpreter state
@ 2007-04-12 23:52       ` Yaron Minsky
From: Yaron Minsky @ 2007-04-12 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: caml-list

You should check with someone who knows better, but I suspect that if you
become a member of the OCaml consortium (which is fairly cheap) you would
have the rights to do what you propose.

@ 2007-04-13 19:07         ` Harrison, John R
From: Harrison, John R @ 2007-04-13 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

By the way, I checked with someone who knows Poly/ML, and it turns out
that

the new mechanism can still be used to get save/restore of sessions just
by nominating

the Poly/ML toplevel as the function to export as a binary. So although
the mechanism

has changed, the basic support for saving and restoring sessions has not
vanished.

I would very much like to see some such facility in OCaml. How hard is
it? I vaguely

remember some apparent problem with closures being allocated on the
stack, but I

don't recall the details.

John.

________________________________

@ 2007-04-13 19:38           ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2007-04-13 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harrison, John R; +Cc: caml-list

Am Freitag, den 13.04.2007, 12:07 -0700 schrieb Harrison, John R:
> By the way, I checked with someone who knows Poly/ML, and it turns out
> that
>
> the new mechanism can still be used to get save/restore of sessions
> just by nominating
>
> the Poly/ML toplevel as the function to export as a binary. So
> although the mechanism
>
> has changed, the basic support for saving and restoring sessions has
> not vanished.
>

> I would very much like to see some such facility in OCaml. How hard is
> it? I vaguely
>
> remember some apparent problem with closures being allocated on the
> stack, but I
>
> don’t recall the details.

My guess is that it is not so hard for core O'Caml: dump the bytecode,
the toploop bindings (using Marshal), the bytecode stack and everything
the interpreter needs.

You'll run into some trouble when you have values in your bindings that
cannot be marshalled, e.g. open files, mutexes, database handles, etc.

You'll run into big trouble, however, once you want to use external (C)
libraries. There is no interface for reinitializing them after being
loaded from a dumped session. This is probably the hardest part. Library
initialization is usually done by the caml module that accompanies the
library. This code wouldn't be executed if you just load the bytecode
from a file. You'd need a second initialization path for the reload
case.

My thinking about this feature at all is: It is reminiscent of the time
when there wasn't a real compiler, but it was practise to create a
session by loading file by file into the interpreter. That was slow, and
dumping the session sped that up. Note that you can do something similar
with the Caml toploop by creating your own one (ocamlmktop), or by
to open modules. What we don't have is a convenient way to create
sessions. Maybe we can add that by recording the interactively submitted
definitions, and replaying them later.

Gerd

Gerd Stolpmann * Viktoriastr. 45 * 64293 Darmstadt * Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855                  Fax: +49-6151-997714

* Re: [Caml-list] Saving the OCaml interpreter state
@ 2007-04-13 20:27             ` Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2007-04-13 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Le 13 avr. 07 à 21:38, Gerd Stolpmann a écrit :

> What we don't have is a convenient way to create
> sessions. Maybe we can add that by recording the interactively
> submitted
> definitions, and replaying them later.

You are right, record expressions that were _correctly_ parsed. ledit
falls short of this goal :

> > ledit -h session1 ocaml
>         Objective Caml version 3.09.3
>
> # let x = 3;;
> val x : int = 3
> #^D
> > ledit -h session2 ocaml
>         Objective Caml version 3.09.3
>
> # #use "session1";;
> val x : int = 3

The problem is when you type malformed expressions, they are also
recorded (ledit cannot know they are malformed) and #using the
session breaks, you need to clean it before.

Your proposal seems a good and reasonable feature wish.

Best,

Daniel

* Re: [Caml-list] Saving the OCaml interpreter state
@ 2007-04-14 11:59           ` Michael Nedzelsky
From: Michael Nedzelsky @ 2007-04-14 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:07 pm, Harrison, John R wrote:
> By the way, I checked with someone who knows Poly/ML, and it turns out
> that
>
> the new mechanism can still be used to get save/restore of sessions just
> by nominating
>
> the Poly/ML toplevel as the function to export as a binary. So although
> the mechanism
>
> has changed, the basic support for saving and restoring sessions has not
> vanished.

You are correct, it seems that it was an overlook on my part, sorry for this.

Michael

* Re: [Caml-list] Saving the OCaml interpreter state
@ 2007-04-22 10:00 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2007-04-22 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harrison, John R; +Cc: OCaml

Sorry for the late answer, I'm catching up with this list.

> In several read-eval-print loops for functional languages
> (e.g. Poly, SML/NJ, various LISPs), it\x19s possible to save and
> restore the current state so you can start up again in an
> environment with all the same objects and name bindings
> present. OCaml does not currently allow this. How hard would it be
> to modify OCaml to support save/restore of sessions?

Definitely not trivial.  In addition to the general problem with
external libraries mentioned by Gerd Stolpmann, there is a more
Caml-specific problem: code fragments generated by the toplevel reside
in many different blocks, which is something that the Caml marshaller
doesn't support.  There would be a lot of non-trivial code relocation
work to perform.

> More specifically, I want to
> know whether the facility to save and restore state doesn't exist
> because
> * None of the main OCaml developers particularly care about it
> or
> * There are non-trivial technical problems implementing it.

Both :-)  There are technical problems, and you are the only user who
expressed a strong desire for this feature.  Personally, it brings
back bad memories of early Lisp and ML implementations where saving
the state of the toplevel loop was the only way to build executable
programs.

Regards,

- Xavier Leroy