* Multiprocessor support in OCaml
@ 2007-04-22  7:42 Jason Ganetsky
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jason Ganetsky @ 2007-04-22  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi all,

I'm new to this list, and new to OCaml (although, have some experience with
SML).

Anyway, I have recently written an OCaml thread pool implementation, on top
of the Thread and Event modules. I did this for the purpose of exploiting an
SMP system I have, and was a disappointed to read today that OCaml doesn't
support multiprocessor systems.

I played around with it a little, and discovered that by liberally calling
Thread.yield, I do cajole my threads into running on multiple processors. Is
this behavior normal, or have I discovered a problem with the Thread module?
I'm certainly happy that I can get it to use my SMP... but I will stop it at
once if you tell me that this is unsafe.

-Jason