* runtime woes -- cannot find dllunix.so
@ 2007-06-21 14:10 Andrew Warshaver
From: Andrew Warshaver @ 2007-06-21 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lista OCaml

Hi all,

I have recently installed ocaml 3.10, but the executables are not all
working.  Some work (ocaml, ocamldep) but most don't (ocamlbuild,
ocamlbrowser, ocamldoc).  What happens when I try to run these is:

[awarshaver@nyc-qws-029 bin]$ ocamlbuild
Fatal error: cannot load shared library dllunix
Reason: dllunix.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

I have done make world, make opt, and make install, after setting my
config/Makefile to point into my home directory.  This file defenitely
exists,

[awarshaver@nyc-qws-029 ocaml]$ ls
/home/awarshaver/lib/ocaml/stublibs/dllunix.so
/home/awarshaver/lib/ocaml/stublibs/dllunix.so

so I'm not sure what is wrong.  I thought it might be an environment
variable, but changing OCAMLPATH to various guesses did not seem to
help.  By default, it (and OCAMLFIND_DESTDIR) seem to be set to
something dubious (this directory does not even exist).

[awarshaver@nyc-qws-029 ocaml]$ echo $OCAMLPATH
/home/awarshaver/lib/ocaml-site-lib

I am really anxious to play around with the new ocamlbuild tool, so  if
you think you know why this isn't working please let me know!

Sincerely,
Andrew

* Re: [Caml-list] runtime woes -- cannot find dllunix.so
@ 2007-06-21 14:13 ` Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2007-06-21 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 10:10:08AM -0400, Andrew Warshaver wrote:
> [awarshaver@nyc-qws-029 bin]$ ocamlbuild
> Fatal error: cannot load shared library dllunix
> Reason: dllunix.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory

Seems like you haven't passed -libdir /home/awarshaver/lib/ocaml to
./configure before building.

* Re: [Caml-list] runtime woes -- cannot find dllunix.so
@ 2007-06-21 14:50   ` Andrew Warshaver
From: Andrew Warshaver @ 2007-06-21 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the help, Stefano.  I actually just solved the problem a
moment before I read your mail by adding
/home/awarshaver/lib/ocaml/stublibs to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  I'm not sure
if -libdir would have done it for me, does that do anything except
modify the config/Makefile?  I think I had that set up ok, I just
changed the first line to point into my home after I ran configure;

[awarshaver@nyc-qws-029 ocaml]$ cat config/Makefile
# generated by ./configure
PREFIX=/home/awarshaver

Thanks again, and happy oCaml-ing!

@ 2007-06-21 16:12     ` Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2007-06-21 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 10:50:10AM -0400, Andrew Warshaver wrote:
> I'm not sure if -libdir would have done it for me, does that do
> anything except modify the config/Makefile?

Yes: it also sets some variable in a *shell* configuration file, which
is used to configure the library path (and in turn also the stublibs
path) that the ocalmlc compiler stores in generated bytecode objects.

In the past it used to be enough to change config/Makefile after running
./configure, but now it's either needed to change the shell
configuration file or, better, pass the proper -libdir flag to
./configure.

Cheers.

* Re: [Caml-list] runtime woes -- cannot find dllunix.so
@ 2007-06-21 20:23     ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-06-21 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thursday 21 June 2007 15:50:10 Andrew Warshaver wrote:
> Thanks for the help, Stefano.  I actually just solved the problem a
> moment before I read your mail by adding
> /home/awarshaver/lib/ocaml/stublibs to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  I'm not sure
> if -libdir would have done it for me, does that do anything except
> modify the config/Makefile?

I had exactly the same problem until I pointed the ./configure script
at /usr/lib/ocaml/3.10.0 instead of /usr/lib/ocaml and rebuilt everything.

The OCaml Journal
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_journal/?e

* runtime woes -- cannot find dllunix.so
@ 2007-06-21 14:19 Andrew Warshaver
From: Andrew Warshaver @ 2007-06-21 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lista OCaml

[...]

(sorry if you receive this twice i tried sending to caml-list@inria.fr