From: Arnaud Spiwack <aspiwack@lix.polytechnique.fr>
To: Caml List <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] ANN: pattern guards
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 06:44:16 +0200	[thread overview]

A (too) quick answer could of course be: "in the absence of a 'with
clause', it is considered the identity 'with clause'". But I'm not sure
it's that satisfying in practice. (it precisely and accurately adresses
this very case John Skaller is raising, but not the same example with an
additional variable in each constructor...).

A suitable solution for nested guarded patterns could be, instead of
saying "all the branches of the or-pattern must agree on the variable",
to use a less coercive, but more compromising law : "only the variable
common in all the branches of the or-pattern are bound in the match
branch". This sentence uses "branch" far too many times, which makes it
awkward and slighlty evil, but the principle is there :

function
| A x | B t -> %1

Would bind nothing in %1, but still be legal (should raise "unused
variable" warnings though). More interestingly :

function
| C x with z=3 and w=2*x | D z r s v with w = r+s+v -> %2

Would bind z and w only in %2 (without "unused variable" warning this
time, provided %2 contains z and w).

At the moment I'm writing this mail, it sounds like a safe way to
proceed. And to be resemble what Jeremy Yallop was suggesting in his
last mail as well.

PS : Slight variants this solution, which I would consider messier
myself, would be to say that "only the with -clause pattern variables
are considered bound in the branch body", as Skaller suggested. And that
an identity with clause is added "each time it is necessary for the
branch body" (though this is not clear in case of naming conflict) or
"each time is is necessary for all the branches to have the same set of
variables" (plus the "no with is all identities" thingy) which may be
safe as well (but the original one sounds more flexible).

Arnaud Spiwack