* Which control structure?
@ 2007-10-02 18:41 Andrej Bauer
From: Andrej Bauer @ 2007-10-02 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I would like to have a control structure which allows me to "copy
continuations". The idea is to obtain a continuation and then try what
would happen if we passed it various values.

An example: suppose we have a p : (unit -> bool) -> bool. I want to compute

  (p (fun () -> false), p (fun -> true))

in a particularly strange way (I have my reasons), something like this:

  callcc (fun k ->
     p (fun () -> (callcc l -> k (l false, l true))); raise Badness)

This of course does not make any sense, but I am trying to convey an idea:

- we register the continuation k
- we start evaluating p on our specially crafted argument
- if p never evaluates the specially crafted argument we raise
   an exception
- if p evaluates the special argument, we record "the continuation"
   l and then we want to _evaluate it twice_: once by passing it
   false and once by passing it true. We want to collect the results
   and pass them to the outer continuation k.

I am asking, is there out there (in whatever language) something that
would let me do this?

Andrej

* Re: [Caml-list] Which control structure?
@ 2007-10-02 22:24 ` Andrej Bauer
From: Andrej Bauer @ 2007-10-02 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

If anybody cares, I can do what I want in SML/NJ using a particularly
ugly combination of callcc and store, see below. Is there a sane way to
achieve the same thing? I suspect I want delimited continuations, but I
am not sure.

-----
open SMLofNJ.Cont ;

(* A perverse way of computing (p false, p true) by invoking p only once. *)

fun two p =
     let val c = ref NONE (* here we store the continuation *)
	val a = ref NONE (* here we store p false *)
	val b = ref NONE (* here we store p true *)
     in
	(* store p true into a, and save the continuation *)
	a := SOME (p (callcc (fn k => (c := SOME k; true)))) ;

	(* see if we're hapenning the first or the second time *)
	if !b = NONE then (
	     (* first time around *)
		 b := !a ; (* store p false into b *)
	         (* reinvoke to compute p true *)
                 let val SOME k = !c in throw k false end)
	else
	    (* second time around *)
	    let val SOME x = !a
		val SOME y = !b