From: Arnaud Spiwack <aspiwack@lix.polytechnique.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Unsoundness is essential
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:56:08 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi everybody,

Christophe already said much of what I have to do, but it's compulsively
impossible to me to avoid posting on such a thread. My own
psychopathologies coerce me into meddling into here.

First of all, as some sort of an introductory thing, I'd like to mention
that Java is probably the currently most popular language among
programmers, and it's strongly typed. Indeed, there are quite a few
unsafe feature (null pointers,
down casting), but they are gradually removed (well, I guess null
pointers won't ever): since the addition of generics
wild downcasting to use generic structures is largely deprecated, if one
would provide with a primitive ternary guarded
cast operator, one wouldn't have to resort to write it by hand "if
(blah.isClass...", etc...

Anyway, back to Mr. Gödel and his theorem. What he stated indeed is that
truth and provability never coincide (provided we're talking of
something at least as expressive as arithmetic). That is, as some people
already mentionned:
either everything can be proved, or there is at least a statement A such
that neither A is provable neither its negation.

Still there is something peculiar in the interpretation of Gödel
theorem, since if we are in a classical logical system (where ~~A (not
not A)  and A are equivalent). If neither A nor ~A are provable, then
both can be "the real one". By that I mean that both can be chosen as
true, without impacting the consistency of the system (quick proof
sketch : A -> ~A is equivalent to A -> (A -> False) which is equivalent
to A&A -> False wich is equivalent to ~A).

A conclusion I can draw from that is that we don't care about what is
true, we care about what is provable, since it is at least welle
defined, where truth is very much unclear (an example of such weirdness
is the axiom of choice, which is a very pratical axiom in classical
mathematics, and widely accepted. Except when you are doing
probabilities where it
is very convenient to have the "measurability axiom" stating that
"everything is mesurable" (more or less) and which contradicts the axiom
of choice).

Now let's move to programming again. Type systems can be arbitrarily
complex, see for instance, Coq, Agda2, Epigram, PML and many other that
I'm less familiar with. In this language, evidences show that everything
one needs
to prove for proving a program (partially) correct, is provable. There
we must draw a clear line between two concept
which have been a bit mixed up in this thread : provability and
decidability. Of course, it is not possible to decide in all
generality that whoever integer is non-zero, thus a type system able to
express (int -> int-{0} -> int) as a type for division cannot decide
type checking without extra information. The extra information is no
more than a proof that we never provide an 0-valued integer (at each
application). And curry-howard isomorphism allows to stick it inside the
type system. That's what Type Theorist yearn for (by the way that is
cool because many runtime check consume
time unneedlessly, and time is money, and money is precious).

Of course, there is still a lot of work to do around these. But this is
more than promissing, and one should be able to never need unsafe
features (though there actually is a more or less unsafe feature
inherently in these type systems, it's called "axioms", since you can
generaly enhance the theory with any additional claim. However axioms
are usually kept out of very sensitive areas).

At any rate, this does not say anything about the mostly untype
languages. It is a different issue, typed vs untyped or decidable type
inference vs more expressiveness in type system. The untyped world has
its perks, especially C, which allow quite a few low level manipulation
which are very useful. What I mean here is that if we need types (and I
believe that a vast majority of programming application do), then we
should have as expressive typing as possible, and not need to rely on
unsafe feature which give headaches and segfaults.

I realize that I got lost in my way, so I'll stop here, but I may be
back (this is a much more prudent claim than that of another AS) in