* Re: A labltk book?
@ 2007-10-12 22:23 Jeff Shaw
From: Jeff Shaw @ 2007-10-12 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Tk 8.5 will make extensive use of native widgets. Tile is being merged
with Tk in 8.5, which appears to be in beta.

http://wiki.tcl.tk/11075

When Tk 8.5 is release I'll be looking into updating Labltk to use the
new widgets.

 >On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 07:43:32AM +0100, Jon Harrop wrote:
 >> On Friday 12 October 2007 05:50:58 Jeff Shaw wrote:
 >> > I'm wondering if there's much of a market for a proper Labltk book?
 >> I'd love a book on GUI programming with OCaml! Is LabkGTK2 more
 >> popular than LablTK?
 >
 >Probably.  Its widgets are also much nicer looking, and apps written
 >with it don't look jarringly out of place on a modern desktop the way
 >Tk apps do.  (All IMO, of course.)

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: A labltk book?
@ 2007-10-15  1:42 ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2007-10-15  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Jeff Shaw wrote:
> Tk 8.5 will make extensive use of native widgets.

Good idea, I suppose. But what does "native widgets" mean for *nix
systems--GTK?

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :

* RE: [Caml-list] Re: A labltk book?
@ 2007-10-15  8:01   ` Christoph Bauer
From: Christoph Bauer @ 2007-10-15  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Gushee, caml-list

> > Tk 8.5 will make extensive use of native widgets.
>
> Good idea, I suppose. But what does "native widgets" mean for
> *nix systems--GTK?

tile adds theme support to Tk. Screenshoots are under
http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile/.
Under Windows the drawing is done via an X emulation layer.

Christoph Bauer

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: A labltk book?
@ 2007-10-15  8:19     ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-10-15  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Monday 15 October 2007 09:01:45 Christoph Bauer wrote:
> > > Tk 8.5 will make extensive use of native widgets.
> >
> > Good idea, I suppose. But what does "native widgets" mean for
> > *nix systems--GTK?
>
> tile adds theme support to Tk. Screenshoots are under
> http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile/.

Assuming the vast majority of Unix users will be using either Gnome or KDE,
that is a non-native look for Unix. In fact, "Classic" looks like RISC OS to
me, and "Revitalized" looks like old Windows.

I must confess I don't understand the idea of tweaking pixellated widget
toolkits when everyone else just moved on to hardware-accelerated vector
graphics with integrated 3D. Especially when the fastest renderer available
is written in OCaml, free and cross platform... :-)

* Re: A labltk book?
@ 2007-10-15 16:42 Jeff Shaw
From: Jeff Shaw @ 2007-10-15 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

This thread was quite derailed... should I then assume there's very
little interest in such a book?

* A labltk book?
@ 2007-10-12  4:50 Jeff Shaw
From: Jeff Shaw @ 2007-10-12  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear Ocaml Community,
After teaching myself Labltk and learning enough about its internals to
update it to use Tk 8.4's new widgets, I'm wondering if there's much of
a market for a proper Labltk book? Nothing too serious, maybe something
self-published that would cost in the range of $10 to $20 and provide
some missing documentation and tutorials. Lots of screenshots of course,
and maybe a simple game or two.

I'd release it for free, but hey, I'm a poor student.

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
Jeff