* OCaml on ppc64 (Linux)?
@ 2007-10-23 16:52 Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2007-10-23 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Does anyone know of the status of OCaml on ppc64 on Linux?

It's a secondary Fedora platform and therefore I'd like to support it.
Someone at Red Hat did some work on trying to port it, but it was
still quite broken AIUI:

  http://git.infradead.org/?p=users/dwmw2/ocaml-ppc64.git

Is there anything we can do to help it along (eg. hardware purchase or
also we can give out limited accounts on a PPC64 machine)?

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on ppc64 (Linux)?
@ 2007-10-24 18:33 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2007-10-24 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: caml-list

> Does anyone know of the status of OCaml on ppc64 on Linux?
> It's a secondary Fedora platform and therefore I'd like to support it.
> Someone at Red Hat did some work on trying to port it, but it was
> still quite broken AIUI:

Right. I followed David Woodhouse's attempts from a distance.  While
PPC64/MacOSX (supported in OCaml 3.10) is a small change from PPC32/MacOSX,
there are significant differences between PPC64/Linux and PPC32/Linux
-- or for that matter PPC64/Linux and all other PPC platforms.

> Is there anything we can do to help it along (eg. hardware purchase or
> also we can give out limited accounts on a PPC64 machine)?

My initial reaction was to conclude that PPC64 isn't worth the porting
effort: Apple killed the PowerPC architecture on the desktop, and
while PowerPC is still strong in the embedded world, it's in 32-bit
mode.  Then someone told me that the Playstation 3 is a PPC64/Linux
platform...  I'm still not quite sure whether having OCaml on
PPC64/Linux is worth the effort, even if we had the corresponding hardware.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on ppc64 (Linux)?
@ 2007-10-24 19:29   ` Adrien
From: Adrien @ 2007-10-24 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: Richard Jones, caml-list

2007/10/24, Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>:
Then someone told me that the Playstation 3 is a PPC64/Linux
> platform...  I'm still not quite sure whether having OCaml on
> PPC64/Linux is worth the effort, even if we had the corresponding hardware.

PlayStation3's processor (the Cell) has some parenty with powerpc but
it mostly has differences (cell is a ppc6). It has many cores and in
fact a variable number of more-or-less specialized cores.
It's a sort of revolution because its SMP capabilities are really
different from thos of a Core2Duo or of an Athlon64X2. I think there
is at least a theorical interest as it seems to perfectly fit
simultaneous processing (but maybe not so close).

There is of course wikipedia's article :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_microprocessor
It shows Cell should make its way in super-computing.

But more striking are examples of cell's power and scalability (at
least apparent):
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/print/4837
http://www.rapidmind.net/case-studies.php

I don't know of any recent and proper independant benchmarks but when
I first read about it, Cell looked like a thing we should keep an eye
on.

 ---

Adrien Nader

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on ppc64 (Linux)?
@ 2007-10-24 21:13     ` Gordon Henriksen
From: Gordon Henriksen @ 2007-10-24 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Oct 24, 2007, at 15:29, Adrien wrote:

> 2007/10/24, Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>:
>
>> Then someone told me that the Playstation 3 is a PPC64/Linux
>> platform...  I'm still not quite sure whether having OCaml on
>> PPC64/Linux is worth the effort, even if we had the corresponding
>> hardware.
>
> PlayStation3's processor (the Cell) has some parenty with powerpc
> but it mostly has differences (cell is a ppc6). It has many cores
> and in fact a variable number of more-or-less specialized cores.
> It's a sort of revolution because its SMP capabilities are really
> different from thos of a Core2Duo or of an Athlon64X2. I think
> there is at least a theorical interest as it seems to perfectly fit
> simultaneous processing (but maybe not so close).

The SPUs are quite unique, but the PPU (the likely target of an Ocaml
implementation) is a fairly ordinary PowerPC.

— Gordon

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on ppc64 (Linux)?
@ 2007-10-24 22:08       ` Christophe Raffalli
From: Christophe Raffalli @ 2007-10-24 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gordon Henriksen; +Cc: caml-list