Alexandre Pilkiewicz wrote: >Le Sunday 04 November 2007 17:12:01 skaller, vous avez écrit : > > >>Lack of commercial support -- the kind Jon is offering -- >>is one of the impediments to industry taking Ocaml seriously. >> >> > > >Don't you think the worst problem for the industry is the lack of >retro-compatibility ? > >Between 3.09 and 3.10 (a *minor* version number change), a lot of program >using camlp4 stopped compiling. If a company has a 100 000 lines code (or >more) to revise just for that, it could be kind of a problem. > >And so many things are just unspecified. I know it's a bad idea, whatever >language you use, to rely on the order of evaluation of the argument of a >function, but to say "this order may change one day" is to tell >industrialists : "if you have some "not so good" programmers, even if you >make all the test you want on your program to check it works, one day it may >just stop working because we changed the order or evaluation, or worst, a lot >of silent bugs can appear". > > Which explains why industry is so wary of languages like Java and C++, and refuses to adopt them. Oh, wait. Seriously, you can protect against a "not so good" programmer. Java tried, they really tried. But you can't have decent performance and absolute reproducability- as Java discovered with floating point numbers and memory behavior in a multi-threaded program, among other problems. Witness all the rants about Java's "Write once, debug everywhere" problems. One thing I really like about Ocaml is that if order of evaluation is important, it gives me a way to enforce a specific ordering. And it's not even an obscure part of the language (let/in definitions). Brian