From: Thomas Fischbacher <tf@functionality.de>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Questions on replacing finalizers and memory footprints
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 11:12:04 +0000	[thread overview]

Hello everybody,

is there a simple and straightforward way to replace a finalizer
function attached to some entity by a different one, or do I have
to work around this problem by modifying my finalizers appropriately?

Also, is there a simple way to implement a function (perhaps using
Obj.magic) which will walk a (possibly circular) network of tuples,
arrays, variadic entities and lists, and return the total number of
bytes used up by that structure? I see that this should be possible
in principle with the present implementation of the runtime if one
could get some basic information about the internal type of an array.

Actually, the Marshal module will have to do something very similar
(but not exactly the same thing). Is there a way to get hold of
the underlying functions?

--
best regards,
Thomas Fischbacher