* First OCaml meeting in Paris ?
@ 2007-12-21 15:29 David Teller
From: David Teller @ 2007-12-21 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml Beginners, OCaml

     Dear list,

 A few days ago, we started a discussion on the OCaml mailing-list
regarding the organisation of a mostly informal OCaml developer
conference in Paris in the end of January. Now, many among us are going
to leave for holidays, or at least to forget work a little bit during
that period. Before we do that, I believe that we need an official
organiser, preferably someone who lives in Paris (ie. not me).

 Who's volunteering ?

Cheers,
 David

--
David Teller
 Security of Distributed Systems

* [Re: First OCaml meeting in Paris ?] at ENST
@ 2007-12-21 16:03 ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2007-12-21 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 21-12-2007, David Teller <David.Teller@univ-orleans.fr> wrote:
>      Dear list,
>
>  A few days ago, we started a discussion on the OCaml mailing-list
> regarding the organisation of a mostly informal OCaml developer
> conference in Paris in the end of January. Now, many among us are going
> to leave for holidays, or at least to forget work a little bit during
> that period. Before we do that, I believe that we need an official
> organiser, preferably someone who lives in Paris (ie. not me).
>
>  Who's volunteering ?

Me.

I don't have given any news lately, because i was discussing with ENST to
book a room for us.

I just have the answer from ENST (Telecom Paris): we got a room
(Amphitheater Jade) for January, the 26th 2008.

We could stay there from 10AM to 6PM.

I am looking for some other little things and i will do an official
announcement on the list.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

* Re: [Caml-list] [Re: First OCaml meeting in Paris ?] at ENST
@ 2007-12-21 16:53   ` Berke Durak
From: Berke Durak @ 2007-12-21 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Le Gall; +Cc: caml-list

Sylvain Le Gall a écrit :
> On 21-12-2007, David Teller <David.Teller@univ-orleans.fr> wrote:
>>      Dear list,
>>
>>  A few days ago, we started a discussion on the OCaml mailing-list
>> regarding the organisation of a mostly informal OCaml developer
>> conference in Paris in the end of January. Now, many among us are going
>> to leave for holidays, or at least to forget work a little bit during
>> that period. Before we do that, I believe that we need an official
>> organiser, preferably someone who lives in Paris (ie. not me).
>>
>>  Who's volunteering ?
>>

> Me.
>
> I don't have given any news lately, because i was discussing with ENST to
> book a room for us.
>
> I just have the answer from ENST (Telecom Paris): we got a room
> (Amphitheater Jade) for January, the 26th 2008.
>
> We could stay there from 10AM to 6PM.
>
> I am looking for some other little things and i will do an official
> announcement on the list.
>
> Regards,
> Sylvain Le Gall

Sigh, what a relief :)

Thanks Sylvain!

I was going to volunteer, but I'm sure you'll do a very good organizer!

PS. I've just set up a public Google Agenda named "Ocaml Meeting in
Paris".  Could be useful for planning purposes.

--
Berke DURAK

* Re: [Caml-list] [Re: First OCaml meeting in Paris ?] at ENST
@ 2007-12-21 17:10   ` Vincent Balat
From: Vincent Balat @ 2007-12-21 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

The 26th of january is the first day of JFLA, (a french conference on
functional programming, where many ocaml hackers go).
http://jfla.inria.fr/2008/index.html
So I guess this is not a good date for the ocaml meeting ... or many of us
won't be able to attend the meeting.

Why not take the time to organize the event? And invite a few speakers and
give them a few months to prepare their talks?

Regards,
Vincent Balat

@ 2007-12-21 19:14     ` Jean-Christophe Filliâtre
From: Jean-Christophe Filliâtre @ 2007-12-21 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Balat; +Cc: caml-list

Vincent Balat a écrit :
> The 26th of january is the first day of JFLA, (a french conference on
> functional programming, where many ocaml hackers go).
> http://jfla.inria.fr/2008/index.html
> So I guess this is not a good date for the ocaml meeting ... or many of us
> won't be able to attend the meeting.

It is right that it clashes with JFLA. But the first two days at JFLA
are devoted to lectures, so some people do not attend JFLA all 4 days
but only the last two. Since Sylvain already booked a room at ENST, may
be we could first ask people not able to attend the meeting because of
JFLA to react immediately, so that we know how many they are (including
yourself, of course).

> Why not take the time to organize the event? And invite a few speakers
> and give them a few months to prepare their talks?

We could do both :-) First a rather informal meeting on Jan 26, and
later a more formal conference with invited speakers.

--
Jean-Christophe Filliâtre
http://www.lri.fr/~filliatr/

* Re: [Re: First OCaml meeting in Paris ?] at ENST
@ 2007-12-22  8:25     ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2007-12-22  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

On 21-12-2007, Vincent Balat <Vincent.Balat@pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The 26th of january is the first day of JFLA, (a french conference on
> functional programming, where many ocaml hackers go).
> http://jfla.inria.fr/2008/index.html
> So I guess this is not a good date for the ocaml meeting ... or many of us
> won't be able to attend the meeting.
>
> Why not take the time to organize the event? And invite a few speakers and
> give them a few months to prepare their talks?

In fact, people at ENST do me a favor for this room. Maybe i can ask
them to change the day, but i am not sure if it will work.

FYI, i have already invited 2 people for doing a short talk (~30 min):
- Nicolas Pouillard about ocamlbuild
- Gerd Stolpmann about GODI (and maybe findlib)

I was thinking to do a short talk myself about OCaml in Debian (maybe i
can ask other debian developer... but i have not done it yet).

The idea, is to have a short presentation before talking about OCaml.

I will set up a wiki page on cocan.org (if i can do it) and do a real
announcement.

Regards
Sylvain Le Gall

> Le vendredi 21 décembre 2007, Sylvain Le Gall a écrit :
>> On 21-12-2007, David Teller <David.Teller@univ-orleans.fr> wrote:
>> >      Dear list,
>> >
>> >  A few days ago, we started a discussion on the OCaml mailing-list
>> > regarding the organisation of a mostly informal OCaml developer
>> > conference in Paris in the end of January. Now, many among us are going
>> > to leave for holidays, or at least to forget work a little bit during
>> > that period. Before we do that, I believe that we need an official
>> > organiser, preferably someone who lives in Paris (ie. not me).
>> >
>> >  Who's volunteering ?
>>
>> Me.
>>
>> I don't have given any news lately, because i was discussing with ENST to
>> book a room for us.
>>
>> I just have the answer from ENST (Telecom Paris): we got a room
>> (Amphitheater Jade) for January, the 26th 2008.
>>
>> We could stay there from 10AM to 6PM.
>>
>> I am looking for some other little things and i will do an official
>> announcement on the list.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sylvain Le Gall

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: [Re: First OCaml meeting in Paris ?] at ENST
@ 2007-12-22 17:11       ` Hezekiah M. Carty
From: Hezekiah M. Carty @ 2007-12-22 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

Forgot to cc: the list...

On 12/22/07, Sylvain Le Gall <sylvain@le-gall.net> wrote:
> FYI, i have already invited 2 people for doing a short talk (~30 min):
> - Nicolas Pouillard about ocamlbuild
> - Gerd Stolpmann about GODI (and maybe findlib)
>
> I was thinking to do a short talk myself about OCaml in Debian (maybe i
> can ask other debian developer... but i have not done it yet).
>
> The idea, is to have a short presentation before talking about OCaml.
>
> I will set up a wiki page on cocan.org (if i can do it) and do a real
> announcement.
>
> Regards
> Sylvain Le Gall

Would you (or anyone else attending) be willing to record the
presentations?  If the presenters agree to this, that is.  I am quite
interested in all three of the topics you mentioned, and I think
others who are unable to attend would be as well.

Thank you for organizing this!

--
Hezekiah M. Carty
Graduate Research Assistant

* Re: [Re: First OCaml meeting in Paris ?] at ENST
@ 2007-12-22 17:17         ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2007-12-22 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 22-12-2007, Hezekiah M. Carty <hcarty@atmos.umd.edu> wrote:
> Forgot to cc: the list...
>
> On 12/22/07, Sylvain Le Gall <sylvain@le-gall.net> wrote:
>> FYI, i have already invited 2 people for doing a short talk (~30 min):
>> - Nicolas Pouillard about ocamlbuild
>> - Gerd Stolpmann about GODI (and maybe findlib)
>>
>> I was thinking to do a short talk myself about OCaml in Debian (maybe i
>> can ask other debian developer... but i have not done it yet).
>>
>> The idea, is to have a short presentation before talking about OCaml.
>>
>> I will set up a wiki page on cocan.org (if i can do it) and do a real
>> announcement.
>>
>> Regards
>> Sylvain Le Gall
>>

> Would you (or anyone else attending) be willing to record the
> presentations?  If the presenters agree to this, that is.  I am quite
> interested in all three of the topics you mentioned, and I think
> others who are unable to attend would be as well.
>
> Thank you for organizing this!

If someone volunteer, i have a little video recorder than can allow to
do that.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall