* Ocaml on Solaris?
@ 2008-01-11 19:54 Misha Aizatulin
       [not found] ` <BB046CA812535C45BD0029AA9D04BA79021B8F80@KL-SRV57.lmsintl.com>
From: Misha Aizatulin @ 2008-01-11 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

hello all,

   the bug report

http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=3943

   describes an issue that prohibits compiling ocaml on a solaris
platform. The bug has been closed, but the problem remains - I can't
compile ocaml on my

SunOS 5.10 Generic_127111-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-880

   The question is, what is the status of ocaml support for Solaris? Is
it unsupported? If it is supported, how can I get it working?

Best regards,
   Misha Aizatulin

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocaml on Solaris?
@ 2008-01-12  9:53 ` Oliver Bandel
       [not found] ` <BB046CA812535C45BD0029AA9D04BA79021B8F80@KL-SRV57.lmsintl.com>
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2008-01-12  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

Zitat von Misha Aizatulin <avatar@hot.ee>:

> hello all,
>
>    the bug report
>
> http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=3943

[...]

I had found similar problems on Solaris 64-Bit machines during a project
where I was involved and had permission to use OCaml by the teamleader.
(Normally Perl and C was used).

The answer I got to the question, was, that INRIA has no 64-Bit machines
and therefore the support is not included so far.

During the Linux day in Berlin in 2007, I asked Sun-people
(developers and others) about OCaml. They denied and tried to convince
me that Java is such a good language.

I did not expect that they deny modern technology ;-(

If you can convince INRIA to get the 64-Bit Sun-machines
or Sun to offer them at university-possible prices,
the situation might change.

But the information I  had also is older, I think it was in
the beginning of 2007, so is one year old.

The platform I was working on was a Sun Fire E4900.
At that time in that project they also had some changes to go
from 32-Bit Solaris with 64-Bit emulation to the true 64-Bit version.
But the admin told me, I already were using the 64-Bit stuff,
so that then was the reason to ask here (or possibly I wrote
a bugreport; do not remember) on that problem.
And I got the answer I explained above: no hardware there
to have the support.

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocaml on Solaris?
@ 2008-01-12 10:19   ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2008-01-12 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Zitat von Oliver Bandel <oliver@first.in-berlin.de>:

> Hello,
>

> Zitat von Misha Aizatulin <avatar@hot.ee>:
>
> > hello all,
> >
> >    the bug report
> >
> > http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=3943
> >
> [...]
>
> I had found similar problems on Solaris 64-Bit machines during a
> project
> where I was involved and had permission to use OCaml by the
> teamleader.
> (Normally Perl and C was used).
>

> The answer I got to the question, was, that INRIA has no 64-Bit
> machines
> and therefore the support is not included so far.
[...]

But OCaml worked at least as 32-Bit version on that machines,
so I could do programming in OCaml also on these machines.

Ciao,
   Oliver

@ 2008-01-23 12:08   ` Misha Aizatulin
From: Misha Aizatulin @ 2008-01-23 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

hi,

> ocaml works well on our machine:
>
>  SunOS xxxxxx 5.8 Generic_108528-29 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500
> Solaris

   I guess I should have been more specific: I was referring to the
impossibility of compiling OCaml over an NFS mount (I am working on a
university SunRay with an NFS-root). The problem is described here:

   http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6573050

   In the end I solved it by compiling on a USB-stick :)

Cheers,
   Misha