* enter_blocking_section() and string modifications
@ 2008-04-02  3:13 Reed Wilson
From: Reed Wilson @ 2008-04-02  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi guys!

I'm currently writing a multi-threaded program, and part of the program
is low-level string manipulation. I found that (with the code I'm using)
making a tight C loop is quite a bit faster than using OCaml, so I'm
using an external function for that.

My question is: can I use enter_blocking_section() for character
replacement on an OCaml string? I know I can't use it for allocating
anything on the heap due to the possibility of the GC doing funny things
with it, but would straight replacement of existing string data be OK?

I did a test which runs OK, but "has not crashed" <> "will not crash"...

Thanks,
Reed