* Re: Teaching ocaml programming
@ 2008-09-26 17:15 Jeff Shaw
From: Jeff Shaw @ 2008-09-26 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

How about Camelia? It was designed for exactly your situation and is
cross-platform.

http://camelia.sourceforge.net/

* Teaching ocaml programming
@ 2008-09-26 11:30 Andrej Bauer
From: Andrej Bauer @ 2008-09-26 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml

Once again I am teaching a course on theory of programming languages in
which we will use ocaml to implement mini-languages. And once again I
face the question: which programming environment should we use?

I have so far tried to use (under Windows)
1. cygwin + ocaml + XEmacs
2. Eclipse + OcaIDE

The second solution worked better than the first, for the simple reason
that XEmacs is a complete mystery to students. They really, really hate
it. But even with the second soltion we had a lot of trouble, because
Eclipse is really complicated, and OcaIDE is sort of experimental and
not so good under Windows, so the whole setup was confusing and fragile.

The requirements are very simple:
1. easy access to toplevel (with line-editing)
2. editor which can send stuff to toplevel, points to errors in source
code, and is not Emacs.

Any ideas what to do? We have dual-boot machines (Windows + Ubuntu).

Best regards,

Andrej