* [Caml-list] Printf.sprintf "%a"
@ 2016-07-08  8:01 Rodolphe Lepigre
From: Rodolphe Lepigre @ 2016-07-08  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear list,

If I define two values

  val p : type out_channel -> blop -> unit
  val e : blop

then I can do something like

  Printf.printf "%a" p e

but I can't find a way to do something like

  Printf.sprintf "%a" p e

which is not well-typed. Is there any trick that I can use to avoid
changing the type of [p] to [blop -> string]?

Cheers,

Rodolphe
--
Rodolphe Lepigre
LAMA, Université Savoie Mont Blanc, FRANCE

* Re: [Caml-list] Printf.sprintf "%a"
@ 2016-07-08  8:08 ` Nicolas Ojeda Bar
From: Nicolas Ojeda Bar @ 2016-07-08  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Rodolphe,

I don't think this is possible with Printf.  But if you can switch to
Format you can use Format.asprintf instead.

Cheers,
Nicolas

@ 2016-07-08  8:16   ` Rodolphe Lepigre
From: Rodolphe Lepigre @ 2016-07-08  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your answer!

> I don't think this is possible with Printf.  But if you can switch to Format
> you can use Format.asprintf instead.

Yes, I know it is possible to use Format. This is actually what I am doing
currently! However, I am not using any of the formating features, so I'd
like to switch to Printf to avoid going from channels to formatters all the
time...

>> Dear list,
>>
>> If I define two values
>>
>>   val p : type out_channel -> blop -> unit
>>   val e : blop
>>
>> then I can do something like
>>
>>   Printf.printf "%a" p e
>>
>> but I can't find a way to do something like
>>
>>   Printf.sprintf "%a" p e
>>
>> which is not well-typed. Is there any trick that I can use to avoid
>> changing the type of [p] to [blop -> string]?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Rodolphe

Cheers,

Rodolphe
--

@ 2016-07-08 10:53     ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2016-07-08 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

For non-formatted printing, I find that bprintf (using Buffer.t) is the
more composable primitive.

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 4:16 AM, Rodolphe Lepigre <

@ 2016-07-09  7:26       ` Jonathan Protzenko
From: Jonathan Protzenko @ 2016-07-09  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)