From: Jeremy Yallop <jeremy.yallop@ed.ac.uk>
To: "forum@x9c.fr" <forum@x9c.fr>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Kaputt 1.0 alpha
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:55:59 +0000	[thread overview]

forum@x9c.fr wrote:
> Le 24 nov. 08 à 22:49, Christophe Raffalli a écrit :
>> Or a camlp4 extension to build the intended function(s) by induction on
>> the type definition.
>> you could include that as part of deriving
>> (http://code.google.com/p/deriving/)
>
> Good idea.
> I would regard a deriving-based "class" for generation
> of test cases as a very useful enhancement.
>
> However, I do not know the policy of the "deriving"
> developers. Would they accept a "class" relying on
> a library besides the standard library ?

Yes: such contributions would be welcome.  It wouldn't be necessary for
users of "deriving" to link in your library unless they were actually
using it.

It would also be possible to distribute your "class" separately from
deriving.  The design of deriving (based on the underlying camlp4
facility for loading object files dynamically) allows classes (i.e. code
generators) to be loaded at runtime, so there's no need to modify the
whole program just to add a new class.

Jeremy.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.