* ocamlbuild dependencies on windows and on linux
@ 2009-02-18 15:33 Matthieu Dubuget
From: Matthieu Dubuget @ 2009-02-18 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I did a test project (some directories, myocamlbuild.ml, _tags files,
etc.) that I put on a USB flash key.

When building on linux, everything seems to work as expected (for
example, if one dependency is touched, only the affected files are built
again).

When building on windows, everytime I run ocamlbuild, myocamlbuild.ml is
compiled, and more generally, already generated dependencies are built
again.

Is it something reproduced elsewhere, or is something wrong in my settings?

Salutations

Matt

* Re : [Caml-list] ocamlbuild dependencies on windows and on linux
@ 2009-02-18 16:38 ` Matthieu Wipliez
From: Matthieu Wipliez @ 2009-02-18 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

concerning myocamlbuild.ml, I reported the very same bug here: http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=4710
As far as I know, this is due to the fact that when Ocamlbuild checks whether the plugin has been built, it only looks for "myocamlbuild". On Windows it should look for "myocamlbuild.exe".

I don't know if this causes the regeneration of other dependencies though.

Matthieu

> Envoyé le : Mercredi, 18 Février 2009, 16h33mn 16s
> Objet : [Caml-list] ocamlbuild dependencies on windows and on linux
>
> Hello,
>
> I did a test project (some directories, myocamlbuild.ml, _tags files,
> etc.) that I put on a USB flash key.
>
> When building on linux, everything seems to work as expected (for
> example, if one dependency is touched, only the affected files are built
> again).
>
> When building on windows, everytime I run ocamlbuild, myocamlbuild.ml is
> compiled, and more generally, already generated dependencies are built
> again.
>
> Is it something reproduced elsewhere, or is something wrong in my settings?
>
> Salutations
>
> Matt

* Re: Re : [Caml-list] ocamlbuild dependencies on windows and on linux
@ 2009-02-18 16:41   ` Matthieu Dubuget
From: Matthieu Dubuget @ 2009-02-18 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

Matthieu Wipliez a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> concerning myocamlbuild.ml, I reported the very same bug here: http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=4710
> As far as I know, this is due to the fact that when Ocamlbuild checks whether the plugin has been built, it only looks for "myocamlbuild". On Windows it should look for "myocamlbuild.exe".
>
> I don't know if this causes the regeneration of other dependencies though.
>
> Matthieu

Thanks. I simply forgot to have a look at mantis before asking.

That's a good starting point to modify a little ocamlbuild in order to
improve this.

Salutations

Matt

* Re: ocamlbuild dependencies on windows and on linux
@ 2009-02-19  9:15 ` Matthieu Dubuget
From: Matthieu Dubuget @ 2009-02-19  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Matthieu Dubuget a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I did a test project (some directories, myocamlbuild.ml, _tags files,
> etc.) that I put on a USB flash key.
>
> When building on linux, everything seems to work as expected (for
> example, if one dependency is touched, only the affected files are built
> again).
>
> When building on windows, everytime I run ocamlbuild, myocamlbuild.ml is
> compiled, and more generally, already generated dependencies are built
> again.

* dependencies problem

In fact, the problem is that Options.ext_dll is "so".
When forced to "dll" on windows, it's ok.
I will fill a bug report.

* myocamlbuild recompilation

Matthieu Wipliez already reported this, with a solution