* project management tool
@ 2009-06-12  5:28 Rakotomandimby Mihamina
From: Rakotomandimby Mihamina @ 2009-06-12  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

Would you know a project management tool written in OCaml?
The main requirements are the support of:
- Task dependency (there might be complex dependencies schema with "infinite loops)
- Project/SubProject
- Merging (cross project/subproject) tasks

Not a problem wether it's web based or not, but if it has a rich client,
using GTK (No Qt, please) would be great.

Thanks

--
Architecte Informatique:
Administration Système, Recherche et Développement.

* Re: [Caml-list] project management tool
@ 2009-06-12 16:17 ` Vincent Balat
From: Vincent Balat @ 2009-06-12 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Rakotomandimby Mihamina

Hi,

We have a project to build a forge with such features (based on the Ocsigen
framework).
(The project will be hosted by ocamlcore.org:
http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/ocsforge/).

Actually the project just started and we have no idea when there will be
something usable (depending on whether we found some funding to do it or
not) ...

Cheers,
Vincent Balat

@ 2009-06-12 16:51   ` David MENTRE
From: David MENTRE @ 2009-06-12 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Balat; +Cc: caml-list

Hello Vincent,

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 18:17, Vincent
Balat<vincent.balat@pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> We have a project to build a forge with such features (based on the Ocsigen
> framework).
> (The project will be hosted by ocamlcore.org:
> http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/ocsforge/)

I discovered this project through the OCaml Planet. What is the
rationale behind this project? What specific functionalities do you
want to provide, compared to current forges?

Sincerely yours,
david

* Re: [Caml-list] project management tool
@ 2009-06-14  6:41   ` Rakotomandimby Mihamina
From: Rakotomandimby Mihamina @ 2009-06-14  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

06/12/2009 07:17 PM, Vincent Balat::
> http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/ocsforge/
> Actually the project just started and we have no idea when there will be
> something usable (depending on whether we found some funding to do it or
> not) ...

Is it (only?) a matter of "funds" (money)?

--

@ 2009-06-14 14:22     ` Vincent Balat
From: Vincent Balat @ 2009-06-14 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: David MENTRE

Hello David,

Our first goals were mainly to find an application for our technologies, and
to write a forge to be used on our site, that would meet our own needs and
working habits. We are not really happy with current forges, (for example the
way they handle todo lists). But we have ideas for building a very powerful
tool that could compete with existing forges. Obviously it will be open source
and we would be happy to discuss the features with interested people. But
again, we have no idea when this project will reach a usable state ...

Cheers,
-- Vincent
http://ocsigen.org

> Hello Vincent,
>
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 18:17, Vincent Balat wrote:
> > We have a project to build a forge with such features (based on the
> > Ocsigen framework).
> > (The project will be hosted by ocamlcore.org:
> > http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/ocsforge/)
>
> I discovered this project through the OCaml Planet. What is the
> rationale behind this project? What specific functionalities do you
> want to provide, compared to current forges?
>
> Sincerely yours,
> david

* Re: project management tool
@ 2009-06-14 17:22       ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2009-06-14 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

On 14-06-2009, Vincent Balat <vincent.balat@pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> Our first goals were mainly to find an application for our technologies, and
> to write a forge to be used on our site, that would meet our own needs and
> working habits. We are not really happy with current forges, (for example the
> way they handle todo lists). But we have ideas for building a very powerful
> tool that could compete with existing forges. Obviously it will be open source
> and we would be happy to discuss the features with interested people. But
> again, we have no idea when this project will reach a usable state ...

Vincent and I (in the name of ocamlcore.org team), have discussed this
forge project. Just to be clear:
- OCsigen team is running for now Trac (http://trac.edgewall.org/)
- OCaml Forge is running GForge and will upgrade to fusion forge in the
  near future (http://fusionforge.org/)

Trac has some issue with speed and is not as good as gforge to integrate
many projects and users. GForge is a good tool for large forge projects
but is not eye candy at all and is too complicated for average user, you
need to learn a bit of mailman/GForge et al before mastering the forge.

Other interesting forge like project includes Redmine.

Vincent wish to create a forge like project in pure OCaml using ocsigen.
One instance of this project will be opened at ocamlcore.org, when it
will be mature enough (something like http://ocsforge.ocamlcore.org)
and that all the ocamlcore.org team will agree on this.

Regards
Sylvain Le Gall