* Manipulation objet files
@ 2009-07-17 14:51 Ed Keith
From: Ed Keith @ 2009-07-17 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Before I reinvent the wheel I thought I'd ask is anyone knows of any libraries, that can be accessed from ocaml, to read and write object files. In particular I need to read and write ELF files, Windows PE files, the .obj files generated by Visual C++ (I think there are PE files, but am not sure yet) and the .o files generated by mingw (I think there are a.out files, but am not sure yet).

Does anyone know of such a library, or have any experience in this area that might be helpful.

Thank you,

   -EdK

Ed Keith
e_d_k@yahoo.com

Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com

* Re: [Caml-list] Manipulation objet files
@ 2009-07-17 15:16 ` Alain Frisch
From: Alain Frisch @ 2009-07-17 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Keith; +Cc: caml-list

Ed Keith wrote:
> Before I reinvent the wheel I thought I'd ask is anyone knows of any
libraries, that can be accessed from ocaml, to read and write object
files. In particular I need to read and write ELF files, Windows PE
files, the .obj files generated by Visual C++ (I think there are PE
files, but am not sure yet) and the .o files generated by mingw (I think
there are a.out files, but am not sure yet).

Visual C++ and gcc under Windows (Cygwin / MinGW) both produce COFF
object files and static libraries (.obj/.lib, .o/.a), which can be
linked to PE image files (.dll, .exe). Note that despite their suffix,
objects and static libraries produced by gcc under Windows are regular
COFF files.

flexdll contains a module to parse COFF objects and libraries and write
COFF objects (not libraries). The module has not been designed as a
standalone library, just as a support module for flexdll (the same
module is also used internally by LexiFi for our direct x86 COFF code
generator for ocamlopt, which avoids the use of an external compiler),
but it handles most of the COFF spec. There is also a minimal DLL writer
in flexdll, but it is far from complete (e.g. it does not support
embedding of Win32 resource files into the DLL).

http://alain.frisch.fr/flexdll.html

Regards,

Alain